british army knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive fancied getting one of these for a while but apart from the price does anyone know if the genuine one is better than the one without markings? is it a case of a cheap clone or will the cheap one be ok?

cheap one http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1879
not sure it has the marlin spike though but the sailing one does??

the genuine one
http://www.military1st.co.uk/nt-bak-ss-15-british-army-knife.html

i dont mind forking out for the genuine one if its a quality thing but not if its just for the writing on it?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The genuine issued ones have some stamped markings, the makers mark (H in a diamond)year and "oil the joints".
The one with the engraved "British army knife" is not issued, but I think it's made by the military contractor.
The plain one is probably a copy.
The real ones can be found quite cheaply, it might be worth trying a few surplus stores to see if you can get it cheaper.
Soldier of fortune (uk store) had 1968 ones for £7 a few years back.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got the new Sheffield stainless version costing £25 and an original 1950's carbon / bakerlite one that was £7.99 from here:

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/survival-accessories/pocket-and-survival-knives.html (no connection, and don't confuse with surplus and adventure!)

In my opiniion the original is a better knife, they are un used and once the grease is removed and the metal given a quick polish they look brand new, a quick strop and it was razor sharp and it holds a far better edge than the stainless version.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The original army knife with black scales was my main user for well nigh thirty years. It's still going strong although it doesn't see the action that is used to. I also have a couple of the later stainless version which I always take with me when I go sailing.

Apart from being very stiff - some of them very stiff - to open there's not a lot wrong with the genuine ones. Good solid blades with plenty of meat on them. The main thing that made me change was the fact that they don't lock, although if you're sensible that shouldn't be an issue. They're relatively heavy, and the originals are a bit on the fat side which I'd consider an advantage. The stainless ones aren't very comfortable to hold.

I wouldn't bother with the cheap copies, the springs can be prone to fracturing and then the tool is useless.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
thanks for the feedback i may well invest come pay day, still jostling over one of these or a joker bullhorn scaled folder....

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
(Here’s my old post on clasp knives where the BAK got a real slagging off, mostly from me.)
Not only is it totally rubbish it even made it on to my top 3 list of worst kit ever.

Worst kit ever:

1Web-Tex Maya Dust .........................save your cash, it’s as good as useless...
2Vargo Titanium hexagon Stove............An exceptionally rubbish stove...
3The new British army clasp knife..........I only got the new one to replace my lost Jack knife that my brother had given me while he was in the RNavy The first time I used the new one was to open an oyster shell, the tip bent, the second time I used it was to remove willow bark for cordage the lock spring was to weak it stayed down releasing the blade in my pocket I called the supplier and no joy from them, I was so annoyed and disappointed with the knife I put the blade under my boot and tried to snap the blade IT BENT ! round to about 90 degreesl, steel that soft couldn’t ever hold an edge long. Sheffield steel just ain't what it used to be...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jacknife
Do not buy the Ibberson ones as they don't take an edge worth a damn.

Hi Jacknife,
Just found this and you certainly weren’t wrong about the edge, talk about soft, I only wish I had read your post about the Whitbe’s before I bought the knife, just a total waste of 22 Quid.......

PS.My one also had GENUINE written on the handle so be warned.

If you do still want one ( as I do ) go for a 2nd hand old oily.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I got 2, one I bought from a shop before knives were considered dangerous (late 80's I think), it's a sheffield steel one with the diamond logo on the back. I used it for a while for odd jobs and totally trashed it. The blades have become quite loose. The other one I cant remember where I bought it. It was bought as a genuine version, but it doesn't have the diamond logo on it and has changed slightly in design. Maybe whitby went through a bad patch. The newer one feels more robust and finished than the older one.

I still keep the newer one on a lanyard in my pocket, it serves me well. I don't expect too much from it so I am quite happy with it.

GBAK.jpg

GBAK2.jpg

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
thanks i look at the one on ray mears and there is no mention of the marlin spike also i read from the reviews that its a lock knife which is not what i want i want it to be EDC legal carry so i think after all thats come to light i may opt for a joker folding knife or failing that ill stick with my SAK ranger and invest in a decent sharpener (i always struggle to find a good sharpener for these kind of knives but i was thinking of getting SAK own sharpening rod)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE