British army kit question

W

WNZer

Ahhh thanks mate, on my other forum it is the reverse, bloody computers, thanks mate

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Gore-Tex lined boots are a bad idea for the infantry, as you inevitably get water in over the top of them.
They then take yonks to dry out.

I used Gore-tex lined Matterhorns on a rural tour of Northern Ireland. I didn't have dry boots for seven weeks. Just when they were starting to dry out, we'd ford another deep stream.

The guys with issue Boots Combat High were drying them out overnight between patrols.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Sorry....allow me to to clarify, I meant "temperate issue" but Steven, you've already answered my question, so thank you.

Our guys are currently in the process of phasing out the "Mk.III combat boot" which is a full grain pebbled black leather, fully lined with brown leather. They're not speedlace, but they're without a doubt the tougest boots I've ever seen. We refer to them as the "Black Cadillacs," and while they're not that comfortable, they can take an enormous amount of abuse. This is them

I think it's a mistake, because I don't like Gore-Tex boots either. Steven is right, they take ages to dry out.

The replacement hasn't been issued yet, it's still "in definition" but knowing the Canadian Forces, it will be a number of years before the process is complete. We're like that, things take a long time to happen in the DND.

For example, for years our standard field dress consisted of plain olive green fatigues, quite similar to what the US wore in the Vietnam conflict. About 8 years ago it was announced that the green's would be phased out in favour of CADPAT and although the article says it is standard issue, one can still see soldiers doing exercises in the greens.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys!

I have to get ready for work.

Cheers,

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE