British Army Issue Infantry Bergen in DPM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I agree with all that Rappleby has said on this.

If you do get the side pouches with their own yoke and strapping, unless you are very practised, keep them together once assembled and stuff them into the top of your bergan. make sure you get the extra strap that goes through the loops and keeps it snug, otherwise they'll tend to flap and spread like breasts.

If well practised at assembling them, keep the yoke etc attached to one jet pack and tuck it under if you keep it attached to the side of the bergan. You can unzip the other pouch/jet pack and attach easily.

Rappleby, I can't beleive you were still being issued with the '58 large pack in 1990 hahahaa.

Large they aint.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks all for a hell of a lot of useful information.

I may think again on this as I didn't know that the bergen needed to be used (ideally) with webbing and that the comfort level is associated with height (I am 6'1"). New to it all as stated!

Incidentally you can get them on Ebay for a flat tenner but they are probably well beaten up. I will look on there and elsewhere for other options though.

First use will be (probably) for a 5 day course. I have put another thread on here related to that looking for input on good ones; it seems they are much of a muchness and maybe I will go with Woodland Ways. Anyway, their kit list asks for a rucksack half the size of the bergen; I do like the idea of rummage room though...

Thanks again guys.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
for those mystified about the 58" large pack that was mentioned?
(it's the square packback under the sleeping bag/rool mat/helmet/and shovel)
58_webbing_back.jpg

it was a universally hated "back pack" supplied with the 58" pattern webbing really no comfort build in what so ever,
made only from canvas and metal clips
No frame,
No padding,
No belt
and Not even shoulder straps at all!
it just sort of hooked on to the shoulders of your webbing, and a couple of straps came under your ribs and attached to the ammo pouches. thats it.

really just a box shape, with square flaps, no waterproofing to speak of about the same size as a disposable shopping bag. and in (and on) it you had to carry:

borrowed form www.forces80.com
Large Pack:

• '58 pattern Sleeping Bag
  • Kip Mat
  • Spare BDU
  • Spare Shirt
  • Wooly Jumper
  • Spare Boots
  • Gym Shoes or Trainers
  • Water proofs
  • Cold weather liners
  • Socks
  • Thermal underwear
  • Towels
  • Head Over
  • Extra Gloves
  • Full Wash Kit
  • Spare Mk.3 NBC Suite
  • Spare NBC Over boots
  • Extra Rations
  • Extra Water
  • Large Mess Tin
  • Extra Shell dressings
  • Entrenching tool
  • Sandbags
the bag really was never designed for modern warfare!

during the first training weekend we were just given the pack, we just had to make do with the straps and clips to make something vaugley bareable in it we had to still carry the 58" sleeping bag, (in a bin bag to water proof it), poncho, roll mat, waterproofs, rations spare clothing, water bottles, mess tins wash kit, gloves hat etc etc.......crazy.

If anyone tries to convince you it was comfortable....they're lying!

When it was last issued I imagine it was to force good kit discipline, no other reason.

ah, the good ol' days!

here is a link all about 58" gear pretty accurate, though most soldiers modified thier kit as much as they could:
http://www.forces80.com/webbing_contents.htm

enjoy!

Reactions: cipherdias

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
That's a good site; thanks. I also like the look of their smaller ones. The 55l at £45 would probably do me.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hey Dozza I just spotted this

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Hi...an__82.99.html

If the comfort, quality and value of my little Forces 33 are anything to go by I'd definitely give one of these a go.....

:(.....(RAPPLEBY2000 shudders)...:(

at least get a real one that is uncomfortable.
this will be generally weaker/cheaper construction (a copy) but still uncomfortable.

actually i take that back, the material will be softer(because it's thinner), so it may be more comfortable, until it falls apart.;)

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Have to say that the pack I had from them for my lad was by no means grade two or faded, it was in top condition as is most stuff I've had from them. The green wool socks at £1 were in fact un-issued as were the quilted undertrousers at £2.

just to chime in that i've had one of their £15 backpacks for airsoft (and two pairs of the £1 socks too) and both were surprisingly good condition, the socks looking brand new.

its not as good condition as a new sabre 60-100, but its ok, esp if you want to try it without webbing for fit etc. If you're doing long distances, go for a proper bag (like the sabre etc) - as your back will thank you.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks; I am still tempted by the Highlander 55 for my first dip into all of this. The used army bergen might be better made but it seems it is best used with webbing (even though used ones can be dirt cheap....).

Looking at the other input on here, the Sting sounds like a reasonable option too for £30-40 more. What I like about that (which the H55 does not have) is the detachable side pouches for outings.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
How come you're still using a 90 patt PLCE then??

The Crusader was on issue (at least to 3 Cdo Brigade).

The Marines had the lattitude to issue different kit, that is why they issued the Crusader bergan and Reeboks too. A lot of the blokes were using chest rigs, some using Artkis 45 but mostly using Artkis 42 chestrigs.

When PLCE came out the Marines were issued that to a lot of their disgust. My mate was coming out of his training and the first thing a lot of them were going to do was to buy something decent not that ' PLCE rubbish'. Due to their role I think you would find more 'non issue' bergans used in Marine units but not that many.

Having forked out to buy a Vulcan as a treat I was a bit let down. Comfort wise it was far better in that it was designed to have a waistbelt , zip at the bottom not wholly convinced but ....

I miss the inside pocket of the lid and the clips that attach the side pouches to the bergan and the zips of the side pouches. all in all 90 / 95 % of a good job.

A good way to increase bergan capacity is to zip extra side pouches to each other so they go around the bergan to join up with the other side. That is of course if you really want to carry that increased volume, would be useful for rice Crispie smugglers I guess

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I remember when the PLCE Bergan first came out we were issued a bunch for our SAR kit, picked it up and the bottom fell out of it !

I can not imagine that happening for a second! they're built like tanks!

I can only think you had some very, very poor grade surplus ones or copies!

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I remember when the PLCE Bergan first came out we were issued a bunch for our SAR kit, picked it up and the bottom fell out of it ! went out and bought a Sabre 55 and I've still got it now 14 years on

if it was when it first came out, is it possible it was a prototype version that you got foisted with?
because like Rappleby, I can't imagine the current one's doing that. unless you where loading it with blocks of lead or somthing....

Hangman

Tenderfoot
I left the RAF 13 years ago at that time 58 pattern was the main RAF issue and PLCE was being phased in, shortly before I left there was a recall of the webbing due to problems with the IRR coating, so my experience with it wasn't good.

Maybe we got the PLCE stuff the army rejected ???

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I'm another one who picked up a £15 bergen from BMS. In surprisingly good nick, no holes, all the zips work etc. Maybe a little faded, and has a bit of black marker on it, but who cares for £15?

I've used mine quite a bit, it's been sat on my back for 4-5 hours on the bike and used for bits and pieces since. I have a dodgy shoulder from a bike accident, and it was surprisingly fine, comfort wise it was ok I thought.

I bought a couple of other bits at the same time, a bivvy bag and sleeping bag liner, that were both in excellent undamaged condition as well. Think the whole lot cost me about £35 or something.

Worth a go if you're still looking.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I left the RAF 13 years ago at that time 58 pattern was the main RAF issue and PLCE was being phased in, shortly before I left there was a recall of the webbing due to problems with the IRR coating, so my experience with it wasn't good.

Maybe we got the PLCE stuff the army rejected ???

perhaps you had a pre PLCE trials version? don't know if they exist but it's possible I know there's a few bit's of odd PLCE webbing that had poppers instead of clips that are quite different to the DPM and OG webbing we know and love!
PLCE1.JPG

PLCE2.JPG

perhaps there was a similarly aged Bergen?

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
my long back bergen is dated 1989, the frame is fixed by rivets to the body of the main sack and cannot be removed. i've owned later versions and as far as i can see the bomb proof build quality is something that has always been there. must have been a trial peice or something that made it to working units.
can't fault the quality.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
my long back bergen is dated 1989, the frame is fixed by rivets to the body of the main sack and cannot be removed. i've owned later versions and as far as i can see the bomb proof build quality is something that has always been there. must have been a trial peice or something that made it to working units.
can't fault the quality.

Mines dated 1990 OG and has a removable frame.

I'd be interested to see the differences in design. I have seen one that had a QR buckle on the shoulder so you could drop the pack like an ALICE pack.

shrubfact

Nov 23, 2009
swindon
Mines dated 1990 OG and has a removable frame.

I'd be interested to see the differences in design. I have seen one that had a QR buckle on the shoulder so you could drop the pack like an ALICE pack.

I have one that has the QR buckles on shoulders straps.....it can be a pain till you get used to them if you just want to loosen the straps.....all in all I like them as you have the option

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE