British Army Issue Arctic sleeping bag vs HIGHLANDER PHANTOM 250 ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
The Army Arctic sleeping bag is incredible tough and really warm - very bulky and heavy though.
I've never used a Highlander sleeping bag, but I've used some other Highlander kit and it hasn't been very sturdy.
I'd go for a second hand Army maggot.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have one of the issue arctic bags and must say its been a good bag. Plenty of room and well made(got the long size) replaced it with one of the USMSS and like that too.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol @ the snugpak comment :) As a mate of mine on here says, there's lies, damn lies and snugpak temp ratings lol

As said the army arctic bag is great but bbulky and heavy. I haven't used a cold weather Highlander bag and I agree a lot of their kit is lower end spec but I have their summer use Ranger Lite and it's the best summer bag I've ever owned :)
might be worth looking at some of the alpkit pipedream range if you want warm, small and lightweight.....only problem is size if you're a bit othe big side they come up very.....snug :)

Hope that helps :)

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I have the Snugpak sleeper elite, for the mone y it's good, not as good as my army article bag, but good enough, says comfy 0c extreme -7c, taken with a pinch of salt, but I must say it's very warm for a 2 season bag, and smaller than the army bag. The only thing I don't like is the side zip, I do like a centre line zip and the price is good to at £35, but not as roomy as the army bag

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The Phantom 250 is designed as a 2+ bag nothing more.

Yeah, the Highlander and the Army Arctic bags are very different beasts. The Highlander weighs 1.8kg, and is rated to an extreme of minus 3 degrees according to one website (so how its a 3-4 season bag, Lord knows), but a comfort rating of minus 5 according to another. The Army bag is certainly 4 season (minus 20 is one figure I've seen as an extreme temp rating), but its 2.5kg.

Alas, no more Alpkit bags, and I agree, Snugpak are a bit optimistic on temp ratings, but apparently not as bad as Highlander!

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have one of each!
I used my Ranger whilst I was still in and for my early scout camps never had a cold night. The army bag is for when I'm in my hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE