British army bivvy bag - highest possible temperature?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Where is the upper temperature limit to use comfortably a completely closed British army bivvy bag?
I mean without a sleeping bag in summer conditions.

And if used open under some kind of tarp where is the limit then?

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I am not sure how anyone could answer that question. It would depend on a lot of things like do you run hot?
A tarp would work as a wind shield so it stop a lot of wind chill effects.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
The bivvy bag is a waterproof cover. If it’s going to be hot, then perhaps it will be dry and then you wouldn’t need it.

Personally I would never use one without a sleeping bag. Couldn’t think of anything worse than spending a hot night encased in a Goretex bag.

Reactions: wulfprints

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have never slept in any of my bivvi bags without a sleeping bag. What I do in summer time is lie on my sleeping bag inside the bivvi wearing my joggers/troos and a T shirt or possibly that and a woolly pully. If it turns cold which it does at dawn I can wrap my bag around my body or even get in and do up the zipper.
In high summer I’d probably lie on the bivvi again until dawn as this is when the dew forms and if I’m woken up, which at my age is more than likely for a pee, then I’d re-arrange my bedding and probably crawl into said bivvy PDQ and sleep for another hour or so.
S

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Quite a few 'reproduction' British Army bivvy being offered on eBay at the mo at £49. Anybody had experience of these bivvy and how does the quality compare with genuine army issue which Inc carriage are about £65 right now

bgreen

Apr 6, 2016
UK
Quite a few 'reproduction' British Army bivvy being offered on eBay at the mo at £49. Anybody had experience of these bivvy and how does the quality compare with genuine army issue which Inc carriage are about £65 right now
£65 for a genuine issue one sounds a bit steep. There's always loads of issue ones on ebay so might be worth having another look there. I've just had a quick look. - (Assuming you're in the UK) there's plenty of used ones from around £15 onwards and a number of brand new ones offered by various sellers on 'buy it now' for just under £50 delivered.

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Bought a British Army Bivvy, 2004. Seams look good. Bit grubby inside. Rubbed it down with a sponge & water which has cleaned it a bit but not completely.

What product would be recommended for gortex stains & mark removal that won't damage the seams

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Don't know about upper temperature, but I've crawled into a bivi bag in winter clothing without any kind of sleeping bag. It's made an otherwise unpleasant night into an acceptable one. I did use something between my body and the ground too, either a pack or cheap kipmat.

In the summer I usually find a bivi bag too oppressive and if possible would go with a tarp and jungle blanket. The height of this summer I was using a mesh tipi, doubled up mat (for the back) and a thin fleece blanket. The blanket was mostly so I wasn't sticking to the mat.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Bought a British Army Bivvy, 2004. Seams look good. Bit grubby inside. Rubbed it down with a sponge & water which has cleaned it a bit but not completely.

What product would be recommended for gortex stains & mark removal that won't damage the seams
Would only use nikwax tech wash, if that doesn’t work then call the stains outdoor patina ! Not an issue, most of the time you will get more stains with outdoor use.

Reactions: BumblingAlong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE