British army basha???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Thats not a bad price assuming that its genuine.

I have only ever used my own one but thats not grey on the inside, its coloured nylon so the DPM goes right through, however mine is a lightweight one, so it could be different.

(DPM = Displacement Pattern Material)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not sure if this is the issue one, I remember my brother, who is with 59 Recce Troop, Royal Engineers (Recce for Commando Forces) has a ripstop version. This may be it.

I personally have a couple of the issue versions and have quite a good supply of para cord and, (I think it's called) purlon, in the similar diameter. Give me a shout if you get stuck, I could spare enough for a basha or two.

Spam

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
If you want an Aussie Basha, which is bigger and better perhaps. I got some from the manufacturer in Austalia for about $60 US, shipped each. Worth the extra money I think. Link to site, look under Accessories at the "Hootchies"
Don't tell the wife you are getting an Austalian hootchie, you'll surely get the rolled eyes look:)

http://www.combatclothing.com.au/index.html

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Caboose,

It says its green on one side and DPM on the other so I don't think it's original, I have purchased a few things from BQ before and it's always been good kit. The price is quite good though and you get 550 cord with it as well.

Brian

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
well it's got "SAS" on it so it must be real! :lmao:

I've not heard of a grey lined one before and I've seen hundreds!
the only grey one i have heard of is an old RAF issue Emergency poncho which was grey one side and orange the other.

i would imagine the grey is a rubberised/PvC coating of some sort

oh and it's Disruptive Patern Material not:
(DPM = Displacement Pattern Material)
displacement is to do with what happens to a liquid when a solid is added and "aparently" increases the ammount of water

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
oh and it's Disruptive Patern Material not:

displacement is to do with what happens to a liquid when a solid is added and "aparently" increases the ammount of water

I knew that :togo:

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
The reversible 'tactical' grey to 'distress ' orange pocho-basha is indeed a old (1950s or 1960s?) issue aircrew item which was sold at a knock down price in Combat and Survival magazine for quite a long time: and for good reason! If it is a heavy, smelly, rubberised (cotton or canvas) large square of material, with string loops at the corners, an elasticated neck hole which a five year old child would struggle to get into and a built-in pocket with the words 'repair kit' or some such stencilled on it,..... then good luck with it fella! On the few occasions I have carried and worn it I have sweated worse than a priest in a knocking shop. Stick it in the boot of the car and keep it for emergencies only when the orange side would be useful.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Caboose117,

See my post (#5) on the Tarps / Ropes thread in Kit Chatter.

The one you're asking about looks like the British Army basha, which is a pretty good bit of kit, but I don't recall it having a grey underside. All the ones I ever saw or was issued with when I was in the service were mottled green on the underside. The www.usmcpro.com one is bigger though at 3m x 3m (almost 10 feet by 10 feet).

The Aussie hootchie is nice and the cammo blends in well with light woodland in spring / autumn with dead leaves and some greenery, but I reckon it's a bit on the small side - ok if you're military and tactical, but a bit cramped if you're hoping to have room to sleep under it, cook under it on a stove and get your bergen out of the rain too!

Dunno how much it would cost to have the usmc one shipped over to you, but bear in mind that you won't have to pay United Kingdom VAT (sales tax - deduct 17.5% from the advertised price).

By the way, usmc.pro, have no connection with THE USMC!

Les - Henceforth to be known as Surrey Yeoman due to "Copyright" reasons!

Caboose117

Jul 12, 2006
USA
well im i cant get anything from any online store other than the us so im knda stuck with american stores so if u come across any with one similar tell me plz

Caboose117

Jul 12, 2006
USA
[Its a Chi-Com copy...Keeps the water out but weight as much a 4 US issue ponchos..Yes I have one..Got dooped into thinking They found some real ones to sell..But its DPM..I love DPM![/B]

Is your any good?

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Caboose117 said:
[Its a Chi-Com copy...Keeps the water out but weight as much a 4 US issue ponchos..Yes I have one..Got dooped into thinking They found some real ones to sell..But its DPM..I love DPM![/B]

Is your any good?

Stitching is kinda krappy.......Its heavy as hell.....The loop in the very center had to be sealed w/ sealent and 100mph tape to be usable because when they sewed it they used a 1 gauge sewing needle making huge holes and it had very very loose stitches......Its keeps my Kayak dry when Im not using it. My Kayak is Camo so the the DPM Basha makes a great piece of kayak kit.....If i knew then what I know now, Ide NOT buy it..

ES

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It looks fake to me too. The issue ones are (as said below) DPM all the way through to both sides (or you can get the jungle issue one that is all OG and even lighter).

The good things about the British basha compared to for examlpe the aussie is that the coating it has on the underside is also a repair method. If you get small holes in the tarp (brambles, fire sparks etc not gapping great tears) then you can rub the area between your finger and thumb and the coating will soften and block/repair the holes.....can't do that with the aussie ones! lol :lmao: It also has webbing straps that can be used in an emergency as a stretcher and it is also strong enough that you can use it as a make-shift hammock if you needed too.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Info only...the current issue item is SHELTER SHEET GS. NSN 8415-99-667-1242. It measures 8ft X 6ft. Is DPM, light weight, and is made by J & S Franklin Ltd. In my view its as good as the Aussie poncho, and is issued for most environments.

Dec 25, 2005
UK/GERMANY
Yes I agree with Smarty, ive used the current issue model all over the world in various climates teaching bushcraft and using it myself. Yards ahead of the old nylon pieace of green poo we used to get before. Yes i mean the old green sieve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE