Britain's Insects - New Book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Interesting!
Could be a 1:1 translation from German in the USA.
No idea how they are called in French though.

OK, the large, nice or especially disturbing ones have common names but do the other 23000 have also common names?
Most people speak with less than 23000 words...

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can't say for the 25,000 species - but as far as I can tell all 1,400 species in the book have common names - 'dusky-horned scabious sawfly', 'silver spiny digger wasp', 'armadillo weevil' .... :)

However, the author of the bumble bee book I have, refuses to use common names - he argues there are only 24 species in the UK and you may as well learn the 'scientific names'.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Weeds for example tend to change the common name in Germany every few hundred kilometres.

Apart from exceptions, do they generally have the same insects in north America that live in Europe?

And how is it in Australia?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you find the time, please come here and tell it them!

The nursery of my brother was build approximately 60 years ago and the nice little wild plants are really everywhere. Although edible themselves they are a bit disturbing here.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Uncommon species just might be very important environmental indicator species.

That's not to say there should be panic in the pews to save the "Pink Mattress-backs" or protect the "Grey Dowagers" and the "Double-breasted Yellow Dolly-birds".

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Reminds me of something that happened in an inner city school Debs was teaching at a few years back.

She had sent the kids out into the yard, which had a few bushes around the edge to see if they could find any insects and one of them came back with a shield bug of some kind.

Debs looked it up in the photo field guide she had and said "Look, here it is..."

The kid looked at the photo, looked at the bug, back at the photo and announced to everyone, "Wow, My bug is famous!"

• Haha
Reactions: Machiavelli

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE