Britain BC Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yeah, theres something fishy about JRRT; Hes supposed to be 30+ years dead yet hes still writing....

There are `pictures` in The Children of Hurin...(isnt there an illustrated Silmarillion??)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
You know that LOTR is fiction, made up not true. a tall tale of daring doo. (that been said I worked for a time in the in Sandyman mill on the North bank of the Water in Hobbiton. )

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ah, good old Terry Jones. It's only fair he should redress the balance, after that (in)famous "What have the Romans ever done for us?" line... ;)

Seriously though, he's done some great stuff on first millennium history. Still a bit too imprecise on his use of the term "Celt" for my liking, but I guess that's just my bugaboo.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Ah, good old Terry Jones. It's only fair he should redress the balance, after that (in)famous "What have the Romans ever done for us?" line... ;)

Seriously though, he's done some great stuff on first millennium history. Still a bit too imprecise on his use of the term "Celt" for my liking, but I guess that's just my bugaboo.

i'm sure we would have done fine as a nation if the romans hadn't have turned up. no?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Absolutely. Me, I'm of the opinion that the Romans didn't invent anything except bureaucracy, and slaughter as mass entertainment (OK, there was hydraulic concrete and a few luxuries that were only available to a very small segment of the population such as central heating). All of the good ideas came from other people they conquered - and most of them would have come up with even better ideas if they'd been left alone.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Some of you guys need to get out more (says the habitual re-enactor)

Nietzsche said 'Stare into the Abyss long enough and the Abyss will stare back"

Cheers
Nick

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hey, it's not like we dress up as Elves in our spare time... ;) (At least, I don't. I can't speak for anybody else.)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Check out my avatar.....and that does not even have my cloak or wool trousers in it! All part of my bushy gear....
There are some sad folk around - warm, comfy but sad in this world if Ti Sporks.....:D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Check out my avatar.....and that does not even have my cloak or wool trousers in it! All part of my bushy gear....
There are some sad folk around - warm, comfy but sad in this world if Ti Sporks.....:D

John

Nobody would mistake you for an elf - whatever you wore

Yer safe mate

Cheers
Nick

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wot you sayin'....
I am a Giant among lesser men
An Elf amongst the lumpen
A Fairy amongst the Panto crowd
An Artist among the purblind
A Poet amongst the illiterate
And underweight amongst the obese.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wot you sayin'....
I am a Giant among lesser men
An Elf amongst the lumpen
A Fairy amongst the Panto crowd
An Artist among the purblind
A Poet amongst the illiterate
And underweight amongst the obese.....

but only on those comparissons!

Back to the clothing
I have been making much of my own kit and it seems to have come out fairly "elven"
Woolen smock, woolen hoody, woolen trousers - all from blankets - a cloak blanket and pin, leather pouches and belts...all trying to use natural materials, mainly recycled, to give a low impact on the environment.
I also have much modern kit - but that gets less usage these days!

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Early britons...

I rekon they all wore some sort of kilt not the small kilt we think of today but the great kilt. It was wrapped over the shoulder when walking and used as a blanket when sleeping next to a fire.

http://www.theweebsite.com/greatkilt/index.html

I know in east anglia the iceni wore black and yellow kilts, britons were of course at one time or another celtic all being pushed to the wests of the countries wales cornwall galatia brittany and they all still wear the kilt!

Simon

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ancient Britons never hit on
Anything as good as woad to fit on.......

One of the few songs in a key that I can actually hit. :D

There is a huge divide between history and the idea of history.

The old saying goes that "history is written by the victors" and it's true that history has always been a political tool but it is also a cultural tool as well.

If I go into a primary school and talk about Iron Age cultural exchange between Romanised Auxiliary forces in Wessex, I'm going to be looking at 60 blank faced 8 year olds.

If I stomp around as a Roman Centurian and oppress a "Celt" or two, but then demonstrate that they actually got a good deal out of co-operation, then I might teach them something about what really happened 2000 years ago.

It might also fire them with some enthusiasm about history which leads them to a closer interpretation in the future.

Sometimes it is necessary to simplify a complex issue to allow people new to a subject examine it. That is one of the things that I have to do daily to engage young minds in a topic that many of them thought was boring.

It's like learning Newtonian physics as a stepping stone towards Einstein and beyond.

Really shouldn't try to put forward a detailed argument after a bottle and a half of wine.
drinking-51.gif

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Early britons...

I rekon they all wore some sort of kilt not the small kilt we think of today but the great kilt. It was wrapped over the shoulder when walking and used as a blanket when sleeping next to a fire.

http://www.theweebsite.com/greatkilt/index.html

I know in east anglia the iceni wore black and yellow kilts, britons were of course at one time or another celtic all being pushed to the wests of the countries wales cornwall galatia brittany and they all still wear the kilt!

Simon

Interesting... The last time the Great Kilt came up in discussions, the impression I got was that there was no evidence for its use (in Scotland at least) prior to the 16th C. I know there are many representations of armed men in carvings from the first millennium, and none of them feature kilts that I can recall...

Can I ask what your source is for the Iceni wearing black and yellow kilts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE