Brita Water Filters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
SWMBO has decided she wants one of these jug filters for the fridge.

She says they are good value because they work out cheaper than the bottles of water she likes to buy and the filters in the water jugs only need changing once a month.

My question is this : How much water can these filters actually process before becoming useless.

I don't want to change the filter every month just because the manufacturer says so if the filter still has a lot of capacity left.

So, does anyone lnow how much water these filters can actually process.

Thanks

Phill :pokenest:

Outdoor_Guy

Jul 17, 2010
UK
www.paracordbracelet.co.uk
Honestly, I have found (and maybe its just me :) ) you dont get round to changing them so they really in the end defeat the object they were designed for. After owning one for a couple of years I can conclude that I have no idea how much water they can filter so I guess I would be better with a normal jug :)

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
Our Brita cartridge says 200l. We don't bother to count, just change it when the tea starts to look "scummy" again.

You can get some jugs with an indicator in the lid that show when to change the cartridge - never had one though so I don't know what they are like.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Phill, we've a 10" block carbon filter under the sink, with it's own tap on top of sink, which we use for brews and cooking water. We change this every 6 months they're about £12 for 3 including p/p. and also fill the Brita fridge filter from it, which we use for 2 months instead of the recommended 1 but at 2 Ltrs a day max thats only 120 Ltrs'ish rather than the quoted 200. The tap water tastes disgusting but from the 10" filter it's fine for brews and from the Brita filter it's even better to drink cold, as is, and I think worth the filter price I think the whole bottled water thing is a rip off and don't buy any.
cheers Danny

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Main problem with the filters is the build up of bacteria etc that start to enhabit them.

Our tap water tastes fine over here, drink it by the bucket (well, pint glass).

You can however use the expired ones to filter cheap vodka. Do this two or three times, it'll probably kill any bacteria and more importantly it tastes like premium vodka.

I wouldn't use it to filter water after though...

We installed a ceramic filter and a carbon filter under the sink. Filters get changed every 6 months at a cost of about £30. Makes tea tste better and much better for boiling veg pasta etc and of course much nicer to taste when just having a drink. We got ours from http://www.ontapsystems.co.uk/ and they helpfully send you a reminder email every 6 months to remind you to replace your filters.
Much less hassle than a jug in the fridge in my opinion.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Our Brita cartridge says 200l. We don't bother to count, just change it when the tea starts to look "scummy" again.

That's exactly what we do. The filters usually last more than a month but I suppose it depends how much water you use as to how often it needs replacing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE