Bristol Bimble, Sometime in May

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Would anyone in the Bristol area (or be interested in a day walk/show and tell at Leigh Woods in Bristol, either on a Saturday or Sunday in May?

I had this idea of those interested meeting up in the car park around 10am-ish and walking around, with those more knowledgeable members answering questions on the flora and fauna, punctuated by rest stops where we could look at the various kit the group has brought along, may it be home-made, purchased or customised. If someone wanted to try out a hammock, compare LMF to Mora ferro-rods, look at a DIY whoopie sling and ask questions about it this would be an idea opportunity.

Dogs welcome.

Caveats as this is public land, would be no felling of trees, no open fires, although I suppose a honey or hobo stove would be OK if set up on bare earth or stones, any sharps if brought along to be carried in packs and only displayed when in a secluded area, to avoid an intervention by an Armed response unit, etc.

Please register interest in this thread, list any equipment you would like to see or show, and lets go from there.

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Darren, depending on dates,w/e worky stuff, i would be interested, maybe even combine it with a romantic break at the Avon Gorge! (thats Alison and i, and not me and you!)

Might even be able to bore a few, with my limited tree knowledge!

Ivan...

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
It would have to be a weekend for me, so as it stands this month either the 12th, 18th, 19th, 25th or the 26th. Now I know that Fishfish is having his hang on the 25-26th which I am trying to get time off for, so that weekend is likely out for the two of us. Of course, this walk could also happen in June if it were more convenient. So please post days you would be available and we can compare our diaries to come to an agreement.

And Ivan, you broke my heart, I thought we had something special :)

Dec 18, 2010
bristol
hello all, i will keep an eye on thread and come along (if diary, wife, kids and life allows) will confirm when you have a date.
one question though - why leigh woods (one of the most managed and busiest in the county?) Oak wood a bit further out (car park in front of leigh court farm) is far more interesting (some very rare trees - i expect that ivan will be able to name them though) still a busy wood though.

Kard133 (not wanting to hijack your thread - But) if you would like to consider other venues i know some quieter / interesting places on the north of bristol / south glous where we could have a nice walk (inc one of my permissions where we could have a small fire and brew) PM me if you want to discuss

cheers

steve

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
hello all, i will keep an eye on thread and come along (if diary, wife, kids and life allows) will confirm when you have a date.
one question though - why leigh woods (one of the most managed and busiest in the county?) Oak wood a bit further out (car park in front of leigh court farm) is far more interesting (some very rare trees - i expect that ivan will be able to name them though) still a busy wood though.

Kard133 (not wanting to hijack your thread - But) if you would like to consider other venues i know some quieter / interesting places on the north of bristol / south glous where we could have a nice walk (inc one of my permissions where we could have a small fire and brew) PM me if you want to discuss

cheers

steve

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about Oak Wood, I just knew the entire area of woodland up there as Leigh Woods, if Oak Wood is the one mentioned on the National Trust map on the forestry.gov.uk website, http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/wm-leigh-woods-leaflet.pdf/$file/wm-leigh-woods-leaflet.pdf.

You Have a PM.

Dec 18, 2010
bristol
Kard133 - yep that’s the wood, lots of history in that wood, the interesting trees are in the Arboretum and paradise bottom is in the eye of the beholder (ponds and small falls - all manmade but abandoned and overgrown (now sort of restored by well-meaning idiots), i think a lot of it is that manmade rock stuff? i may be mistaken) - fantastic wild garlic though and the bluebells are out.
Kard133 - yep that’s the wood, lots of history in that wood, the interesting trees are in the Arboretum and paradise bottom is in the eye of the beholder (ponds and small falls - all manmade but abandoned and overgrown (now sort of restored by well-meaning idiots), i think a lot of it is that manmade rock stuff? i may be mistaken) - fantastic wild garlic though and the bluebells are out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE