Brew Kit

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Following on from the thread Survival is All About a Good Cup of Tea I have been inspired to make a brew kit which would enable you to make this cup of tea!

The kit contains
  • 1 Tin Mug
  • 1 Packet of Soup
  • Matches and Striker in plastic bags
  • Mini Wax stove
  • Tea Bags
The stove is based upon this idea
but using a tea light holder instead of a shoe polish tin.
I'll add some sugar sachets when I go to a cafe next. The plastic bottle is actually a chewing gum container.

A stick could be broken into a triangle in order to support the cup above the mini stove.

Reactions: Silverback

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
sam_acw said:
The stove is based upon this idea
but using a tea light holder instead of a shoe polish tin.

I've found, when using a tea light that you don't need to do the whole spiral thing with the corrugated cardboard. I just srape the outside of the tea light down a little, wrap the cardboard once round the outside and put back in the case.
A lot less work and something that can easily be done in the field. Hence the small strips of card that live in my emergency pack next to a couple of unmodified tea lights ;)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
gosh! - great minds think alike eh! (not my mind obviously!) - I made a 'wax stove' last week myself (and thought 'arn't i cunning and inovative' :lmao:

what supprised me was that even though I completely filled the base with cardboard when I melted the candle it more or less all went back in! :confused:

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Inspired..

How long does it take to get the water boiling, using a wax burner the size of a tin can takes about 10 minutes, but I've never got a rolling boil which could purify water.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It took 8 minutes to come to a proper boil when I used it in my kitchen yesterday. Don't know how long it would boil for as I was only making tea.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry Sam I'm confused :confused:

I can't see a coffee pot or a grinder for the beans anywhere :confused:

:D :D :D

Soup and tea.... :yuck: :yuck:

Jackdaw

If I am out for a day or less, I will take a flask. Any longer and I take my stove.

These little, improvised stoves are a great idea and I dare say that in the future I will have to use the knowledge you guys have given me, but for most cases I build a proper cooking fire or have my stove on standby just in case.

Before breaking camp, you could build up a good fire and boil enough water to fill your flask for the day, then repeat when you get your next camp built up. This limits the amount of time you are spending getting a brew going.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Limit.....time......for brewing up?????????????

Hmmm

Nope not computing

Larger fire needed guys (for heretic burning) :D :D :D

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE