Brew kit Ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
o_O um no idea what you mean sorry

Real coffee, tea or tisanes, whiskey or rum - great!
Coffeemate and sweetners disgusting and chemical tasting.
I would prefer a drink of just boiled water to a chemical brew of Coffeemate and Sweetners. Why add chlorine purifiers if you are boiling(sterilizing) the water for a brew?
Baileys is better than Coffeemate if you like white coffee.
Black coffee is better!
Clarified? :)

Actually I often take MOD brew kit stuff out with me - just coz I have some - but I do not think of them as Tea or Coffee, just as hot and wet drinks...and I still dump the whitener! :D

Last edited:

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
Real coffee, tea or tisanes, whiskey or rum - great!
Coffeemate and sweetners disgusting and chemical tasting.
I would prefer a drink of just boiled water to a chemical brew of Coffeemate and Sweetners. Why add chlorine purifiers if you are boiling(sterilizing) the water for a brew?
Baileys is better than Coffeemate if you like white coffee.
Black coffee is better!
Clarified? :)

yes ^^ well i dont use whitering or sweetter thingy just nomal ^^

baileys and Vat 69 in the field will make my trip better then last one ahahah

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
yea not gonna lie coffees bag here are a killer on the old wallett, but i drink grounded coffee at home but way for me to use it out in the field un-less it take coffee pot but that add weight that i dont need so yeah ^^

I use one of these when only making one cup of coffee at home. Quick and easy and no fuss.

Havent used it out and about yet cause I dont mind drinking instant coffee. Have you tried "Carte Noire", IMHO its the best instant coffee there is. Makes nescafe taste like dog pi55

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
I use one of these when only making one cup of coffee at home. Quick and easy and no fuss.

Havent used it out and about yet cause I dont mind drinking instant coffee. Have you tried "Carte Noire", IMHO its the best instant coffee there is. Makes nescafe taste like dog pi55

what is it a cup?

ahaha i dont drink it the one my mums got doesnt have the strong kick i need when i wake up or go to bed ^^,

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... i drink grounded coffee at home but way for me to use it out in the field un-less it take coffee pot but that add weight that i dont need so yeah ^^

Boil your coffee and water in your crusader mug. When it looks like it's going to boil over, take it off the heat, give it a good stir & add sugar/milk eas reqd. and let it stand. By the time it is cool enough to drink, the grounds will have settled.

garethw

Settler
I'm pretty much with Mr Fenna on this one...my kit consists of:

1) a stainless coffee pot,
2) a plastic Melitta filter holder & some paper filters,
3) a pot of dark roast ground coffee (Carte Noire is good (just not the instant) or La Maison du Café 'L'Or'.)...

If it needs milk, say for breakfast it has it be fresh milk or coffee is drunk black.
Sweetners and various powders just detract from the real coffee experience.
You do need a separate pan to boil the water in so you can filter it... but the stainless pot means you can 'gently' reheat it.

If I have to go the tea route, I like Earl Grey at the moment, although I've just tasted my first cup of pine needle tea.
cheers
Gareth

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
'Mighty' Cup a Soup. Most supermarkets do an own brand version of cup a soup with pasta in. The last ones I got were from Asda and were called Mighty Instant Soup and were 4 for £1. Tasty, warming and a bit more filling than a plain cup a soup.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I got hooked by those 3-in-1 coffee bags, but then realised that I could make my own mix up easily enough. I now have an empty vitamin bottle with a mix of coffee:CM:sugar in a ratio that I like 1:2:1 and I just tip some of that into my cup. more = stronger, simple as that!
Drink the same at work/home so it really is a comfort to me when O&A

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
What I'd like though is a little container that can fit inside one of these - that would be the ultimate compact bevkit

olive_cup.jpg

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I tend to take Red Bush tea which doesn't need milk and green tea. I used to drink Lift Lemon Tea a lot when fishing, but it has so much sugar added now it's become revolting.

Al

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
http://www.thearmystore.co.uk/acatalog/Essentials_by_Aladdin_Sealed_Thermal_Travel_Mug_.html
link above for information,
Something else worth getting and I use mine all the time now, is a small thermal mug/flask. It saves your crusdader getting all manked up so you can just boil the water in the crusader and tip the water into the mini flask.
It keeps the drink hot for ages and allows you to move on without having to wait for the drink to cool down and seals up so it won't leak and then can be stashed in a pocket.
The only thing is that the seals have to be cleaned regular because if they get too sticky then the flask will leak.

these look quite interesting too,
aladdin-aveo-travel-press.jpg

Aladdin Aveo Travel Press- Coffee/Tea Filter & Insulated Mug
http://www.chevintrek.co.uk/aladdin-aveo-travel-press--coffeetea-filter--insulated-mug-4805-p.asp
enjoy,

Last edited:

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
Boil your coffee and water in your crusader mug. When it looks like it's going to boil over, take it off the heat, give it a good stir & add sugar/milk eas reqd. and let it stand. By the time it is cool enough to drink, the grounds will have settled.

thats a good idea thank you ^^

crusader mug? i dotn use that i use trusty only dutch army cup, those crusader cost too much here in aussie :(

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
thats a good idea thank you ^^

crusader mug? i dotn use that i use trusty only dutch army cup, those crusader cost too much here in aussie :(

Although messy I have used my bandana as a coffee strain. I just put it in my mug first, then once the coffee was ready I lifted it out (slowly!!) and twisted the excess liquid back into the cup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE