Breaking Swedish fire steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
U

unused[nl]

@Zammo, I think I should hurry to buy myself a new firesteel :) Going for the big one now

@Gwhtbushcraft, Finally! Some one who has the same problem! So how did you encounter it? just bought the big one?

@Orgi, I have some old dutch army knife with: knife, a lit opener for a thin with tuna or something, a thing to drill holes( not a drill but some stingy thing!), a flat screwdriver and beer bottle opener in one. I did use that last one a few times on my firesteel but I got blisters very quick from the iron handle, also it doesn't gave as much sparks as the scrapper..

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
unused[nl];295555 said:
@Orgi, I have some old dutch army knife with: knife, a lit opener for a thin with tuna or something, a thing to drill holes( not a drill but some stingy thing!), a flat screwdriver and beer bottle opener in one. I did use that last one a few times on my firesteel but I got blisters very quick from the iron handle, also it doesn't gave as much sparks as the scrapper..

It is probable that your knife does not have an edge that will make good sparks - The SAK saw back has sharp corners and is hard steel. You could make your own striker from an old hacksaw blade or an old metal file. Snap it to any length and grind it so it has 90 degree corners - so that they feel almost sharp, try to keep it cool when you grind it. This should throw good sparks.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Today when i was out the back door debarking a peice of wood i have i dont what type i was just turning it into a walking aid, anyway when i finsished i looked down on the steps to see that i had worked up a fair pile of shavings etc I also happen to have my cadet model flint and steel in pocket so i thought what the heck, up untill now ive only really been able to get cotton wool and woodshavings once going and that was a just on luck.

So i put the shavings together and used the edge of the steel gave it a few strikes and it worked lol i couldnt bloody believe it all the times i tried before when i was trying to make a fire and had too use matches or cotton wool and this time it worked. The bark ends glew and went in flames.

Ryan

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
O one more fire bug on the lose. Good job i hope you did not burn it all save some. Just think ever time you go hiking you got your tender with :You_Rock_

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A bit of encouragement, I posted these replies up a while ago and thought that they might be useful as reference, just copying them into this thread;-

Thread was discussing firelighting with damp wood,

Once a log has died, it'll be effectively dry wood - even if it rains heavily, only the outside of the wood will get wet. If it is laying on damp ground, however, it's likely to get "wetter" because there is no let-up from the effects of moisture.
So you have a log that can be wet on the outside
- saw it into a smallish log, 8 inches to a foot long
- with your knife and another piece of weighty wood, batton through it to make quarters or eighths,
- then cut very thin slivers of wood from the dry inside wood so that the slivers curl up and stay attached to the stick.
It takes a bit of practice but you get the idea soon enough.
Eventually you'll get the featherstick which will take a spark from a firesteel and burst almost immediately into flame.

Have a search for feathersticks and battoning, if you want ai'll ty to get some pictures posted over the next few days.

then;

First some hanging dead wood - not the best as I think it was maple but fine to demonstrate an idea.
Featherstickfire001Small.jpg

Next, a piece of that wood cut into sticks and feathered - note the smallest curls on the bottom stick, they are the ones that will catch light from a spark.
Featherstickfire002Small.jpg

Finally, and admittedly after a few attempts, flame. My firesteel is in the bottom of the picture, struck with the spine of my knife.
Featherstickfire003Small.jpg

Not a serious attempt at lighting a fire, but showing that you can get a fire going just using feathersticks and some well placed sparks.

And finally;
The secret in using sparks, is not to disturb the material that you are trying to light.
Arrange everything to suit the task, have your left palm facing forward with thumb to the left - it feels unnatural to begin with but I've found it works most times.
Hold the firesteel in your left hand, top of the steel grasped in little finger. The back of your index finger lightly holds the tinder in place and braces the tip of the firesteel. Then your thumb is the digit that pushed the striker down the steel, with the right hand controling the force that the two are being pushed together. With a slow, controlled action you get big fat sparks that fizzle and crackle for several seconds as oposed to one bright flash and its all over.
The situation that you want to avoid is;-
1, scattering your tinder as you strike the spark, and,
2, worse - smothering the sparks that you've just made by covering them with a large cold piece of iron!

As to taking a file to the back of your knife, great if you can keep the 90 degree edge but if not, try an oil stone used like a spokeshave with the knife held in a vice.

ATB

Ogri the trog

U

unused[nl]

Hmm your shavings are bigger then mine were! I can't understand! And what did you do with your knife?
Thanks for the pictures!

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
getting the curls thin enough is more or less just practice till you get it right.for me personaly it works best with the curved part of the blade (not sure if this is good or bad technique,it works wich is most important)

also make sure the knife you use is sharp, blunt knifes are an accident waiting to happen,sharp knifes only bite people who are not paying proper attention (some stupidity while carving made me slice of half a nail once, lot more red on the carving then you'd want to)

a nice indoor test for your firesteel might be to try and light a candle with it, get a candle that already burnt once and lightly pound on the wick. you should see the individual fibres of the wick sticking out. toss a spark on it and it should start burning.

P.S. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10319 should give you an idea of how to personalize metal items

for me bushcraft is all about patience, almost all skills you see on this site take time to learn. i do wish i had more time though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE