Breaking in boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2006
Nil
twisted firestarter said:
I bought a pair of lowa alpines last year and one of them squeaks really loudly when I wear them. HELP :confused:

Check the toe space for field mice ;)

But seriously folks.........

Usually it's the tounge squeaking against the back of the bits the laces go through (any old cobblers out there care to share the proper name for that part :) ).

I've cured this in the past by taking the laces out and applying a liberal coat of boot polish (Kiwi of course) to the tounge and leaving it unpolished. Lace the boots up again and it lubricates the tounge and stops the squeaking. Worked for me.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Gailainne said:
Pablo

I must admit I've always been wary of ordering footware online, for the obvious reason you cant check the fit, had you tried these boots before, or are you chancing it ?

BTW are those British sizes shown ?

Stephen
Yes Stephen. I know I'm chancing it and I would never have ordered on line if John Muirden at Unbeaten Tracks hadn't promised exchange or full refund if I wasn't satisfied. Great service. The boots are a half size bigger and only come in 1/2 sizes, therefore if you take a UK 8, an 8 1/2 should fit although I've found that they are a touch big.

Surrey Yeoman said:
Also being ex-military, I've done a fair bit of breaking in of boots, going back to the '70s when we were issued those dreadful DMS (Direct Moulded Sole) ankle boots that led to so much foot rot in the Falklands (can it really be 25 years ago this week :AR15firin )
I remember them well!! b*****dy aweful. Anyone remember ammo boots? I've still got my pair bulled up in the wardrobe. Gawd knows why! By the way also :cop: Used to live in Hindhead.
Pablo

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Oh well, my twopennyworth is use lots of dubbin/oil/ledergris to nourish the leather and keep it supple; wear them at first a little bit each day, stretching the leather at the hotspots; and I always wear two pairs of socks - a thinner pair under the thicker pair and that seems to help avoid blisters.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
wanderinstar said:
addyb,
Bet folk could smell you coming from quite a way off ;) :D

Nah, you just gotta remember to wash 'em out really really really well. It works, what can I say? I'd be willing to bet that if you went and talked to an old WW2 veteran, he'd probably agree with me.

I almost forgot to mention another method that I've used: Take a stiff wire brush to the leather of the boot. Scrape it down until it's somewhat greyish and then complete the process with either polish or leather dye.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE