Break ins.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I had a seriously large and thick padlock on my barn/ workshop door.

All they did was to use a CO2 fire extinguisher, freeze the metal bits on the door, then smack it hard with an axe or large hammer.
CO2 frozen metal gets brittle.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of what I'd suggest has already been mentioned:
-Better locks
-Alarms
-Better storage cabinets/safes
-Mark your property

I might suggest getting a security service but I suspect it would cost more than you're willing to pay.

Reactions: Janne
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Many layers of defence works best, like a fort all can be defeated but it takes time, and time means more risk, also good to have false secure box's again it burns time with nothing of value to be found inside.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would think that caltrops would work. You need a demo showing traditional Japanese forging and just leave the product scattered about over night.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The museum I regularly demonstrate in was broken into again at the weekend.

CCTV shows a chap at about 23:30 departing with a small rucksack and carrying a chainsaw he stole.

Odd pattern of behaviour, broke into the stick makers and stole a load of whilstes made of horn. Then into the polelathe shelter where he cut the padlock to a van safe and got the chainsaw. Then onto the rake makers cut a padlock to the tool store but nothing was taken probably didn’t recognise what was valuable or has no way to move it on quickly.

My area remained unscathed but I always ensure my area is cleared of all tools etc when I leave which is a faff.
So apart from man traps etc what ideas of you folk got for secure discreet tool storage?

i see your in west sussex to, which museum, there are a couple of heritage type ones, one right near me :(

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I'm not a thief but I cut a lot of steel, no padlock or site box will keep me for long

Any real security measures need to include all the suggestions in this thread to slow the scum down a bit....all you can do is make things as difficult as possible for them with at least three barriers between your stuff and them walking off with it

One of the best tips is that they can't steal what they can't see

especially now battery grinders are quite good :(

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
especially now battery grinders are quite good :(

Yep, my brushless 18v grinder is basically as good as a 240v one
There's also petrol cutters, gas, simple pry bars and sledge hammers, ramset guns, bolt cutters, bump keys, electric lock pick guns, porta props

All you can do against a determined thief is deter or delay

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
There's also petrol cutters, gas, simple pry bars and sledge hammers, ramset guns, bolt cutters, bump keys, electric lock pick guns, porta props

also those computer lock picks, that you can attach and walk away and leave to work, then it works out the combo and you can save it for asy access next time :( :(

Janne

Feb 10, 2016

You are very well informed I say.....
:)

Reactions: Mr Wolf
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Doesnt a molybendium blade cut padlock steel? It seems steel is either too soft or brittle, now a tungsten carbide padlock may be better, or titanium, that takes ages to cut and ruins blades.
Many layers of defence works best, like a fort all can be defeated but it takes time, and time means more risk, also good to have false secure box's again it burns time with nothing of value to be found inside.
Completley agree, more time spent is the best deterrant, although over the weekend lots of time is usually avaliable.

Given tyat your all farmers though, surely the cctv that comes to your phone is the best option, one call to your phone and the cctv you have now is live viewing ?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I guess it depends on the type of door what security you have to use, but all our doors leading from the outside in, have code locks.
In addition to that, all have dead bolts.
All doors have those securing bolts on the hinge side so you can not lift them out even if you remove the hinge pin.

We had a police friend tell us what we should do. The security of our house is inspected yearly by the police as we have shotguns, revolvers and pistols and many thousands of rounds in the house.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE