Breadbag out of shelterhalf scrapmaterials

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi guys,
my homemade wintershelterhalftent has left me with a lot of scraps and I got an idea to make my own breadbag/foragingbag from them.
No additional parts were used, just the scraps!
What the foto's do not show is the 4cm wide sidewall I sewed in...

It is large enough to carry a bulky A4-folder in it in either direction.

I got a bit carried away with it, so it is finished earlier than the actual tent itself.... Was a good exercise to get to know the "new" sewingmachine.

Measuring, cutting..... I never work with a drawing or written plan. It's all in my head and I work/adjust as I go along...
DSC06335.jpg

Here we go!! Making the carryingstrap;
DSC06336.jpg

Taking shape;
DSC06338.jpg

The finished item. The patchy look is done intentionally...
DSC06348.jpg

Some detailshots of the closing flaps.
I used the button and holesection of the actual tent to close it. The flap with the "W" and rope is an eyecatching extra. The "W" is the manufacturers mark and happens to be the first letter of my last name. The tip, eyelet and rope show the heritage of the bag quite nice, I think.
DSC06349.jpg

DSC06350.jpg

Carryingstrapdetail;
I can adjust the length of the strap by using various buttonsetups. The edges were fastened with a blanketstich.
I used the groundpegloops to fasten the bag to the strap and I can take off or alter the strap quickly when I want to.
DSC06351.jpg

DSC06352.jpg

I even have beltloops, when needed. For this I used the loops, where the guylines are attached to the shelter.
DSC06353.jpg

DSC06355.jpg

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Another great post Ron. You are a one man industry.

That's a very interesting, useful and fully personalised bag. Very impressive.

Magentus

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yeah that's fantastic, :cool:..I like the patched / repaired /recycled look of things .........much like the Brazilian THE REAL DEAL products....
A great job there Ron.goodjob

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yeah top job that Ron. Looks like something Indiana Jones would be proud of having.

Dibs on the next one if you make one of course with any more left over scraps :lmao: Edit, just remembered I have a canvas bag in the basement that's not a milion miles from that. Just needs a shoulder strap and some adapting I reckons.. so I withdraw my dibs. Still a lovely bit of kit Ron.

I'm so going to have to learn to use a sewing machine. Since being on this site I realise the need for one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE