Brat Camp

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Just wondering if anyone had seen any of the 2 series of Brat Camp on Channel 4 or the new series over on E4? Basically, they're kids with problems, either alchohol, drugs, violence, theft etc whose parents can no longer handle them, love them & send to them a "Wilderness Ranch or Camp" in Utah where, under extremely strict conditions they are re-conditioned to have respect for themselves & others through hard graft & living wild. It's a really good show & the kids are de-toxed through simple, probably extremely bland food, but are taught all manner of bushcraft skills, including fire by friction. It's well worth viewing & I wish I could spend the weeks/months they are! A great learning experience & what a great way of using bushcraft skills as an instructor if such a course existed over here!

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Unfortunately I've not managed to catch either the first or second series. However, I have watched the trailers and wondered, if I was only born a little bit later in life... and in America... and been a little gobby chav... wouldn't it be a good opportunity!!! However, if you look at it that way, I probably would have completely different feelings and attitudes - and wouldn't respect the environment quite as much as I do now!!

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
From the first series I believe all the kids improved a lot. 2 or 3 completely changed. However, the 2nd series I felt wasn't as good. It was a different "ranch" & it looked like the kids there were conning the instructors somewhat! The latest series, so far appears to be working, though it's only the first week. Still, an excellent lesson in life.

leon-1

Eric_Methven said:
Bring back National Service!!!

Eric

I agree, followed by flogging, the death penalty, work camps and workhouses, although not necessarily in that order.

Then we can put large towers around the fenced area that contain them and fill them with heavily armed servicemen and women (whom you would now have plenty of instead of the under manned poorly paid guys and gals we have now).

If anyone disagrees they can go into the work camps and practice fire by friction, we could have them building debris shelters to live in, carving cutlery sets and pot hangers for 20 years (good definition of hard labour).

and people will be greeted with the standard greeting of

"Velcome to camp BushCampUK, pull up Zee log around zee real campfire and MAKE YOURSELF A HOME"

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
(Slightly different but still sort of connected)...........and something that made my blood boil on yesterdays news.........the rioters and do-gooders in France were complaining that the police were being too heavy handed with them !!! :confused:
................Sorry but if you are willing to take part in a riot and throw missiles and petrol bombs at the police and trash cars and buses and cause mayhem and destruction and fear then you should expect to be beaten about the head with a baton in a fiece manner. No one has forced you into the riot you have taken part out of choice and should expect to reap what you have sown.

Finished ranting now.............it just made me so angry to hear that :D

leon-1

Actually Nick I don't think that it was a rant.

In the end the problem comes from people not being educated to take responsibility for thier own actions and that would seem to be running the world over (more's the pity).

People need to be educated that there are consequences for everything they do in life and that acting responsibly has its benefits and that being a little turd has a very definite down side.

That of course applies to kids on reality TV or French rioters.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
I really enjoyed watching the earlier series of brat camp and i'm looking forward to this one, i reckon it's a great idea and the sort of thing everyone should have opportunity to experience. I found it both positive, and hilarious in equal measure to watch them progress from the slack-jawed,the agressive, the manipulative and the rolling around on the floor with a big snot-bubble, sobbing "i think i'm dying" and "i never asked to be born" etc. because they had to carry their own pack for 50 metres, and come out that bit more joyful, responsible, self reliant and that bit more in tune with themselves, their environment and those around them. I reckon a few of the parents could have benefited from a stay in the camp aswell!
Most of the kids on there were basically decent, normal teenagers who had gone off the rails in one way or another (which can happen to anyone, especially when you're in your teens) and it seemed to do them all some good, and for a few of them, it really seemed to turn things around.
Good stuff ! i'm off to call my parents ******'s on the off chance they'll send me

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know of several initiatives in this country working in a similar vein. George, in the W. Highlands, works with a group that does highly regarded courses with young people recommended to them by assorted social agencies. Mike works with Forest Schools which is a bit more ad hoc, but again is achieving excellent things with individuals.
Both these groups use the natural environment as an inspirational 'workshop' base, and the skills necessary to be comfortable in the forest, hills, moors and on the lochs and rivers, are taught by experienced tutors. While the obvious focus is on teaching outdoor crafts and skills, behavioural and social issues are addressed too.
Thing sad is that no one makes tv programmes about quiet but successful work that encourages individuals, who may be severely disruptive and personally damaging, to take stock and make the decisions and the efforts to improve their lives while taking responsibility for their actions.
Loud screaming headlines about thuggish, loutish behaviour and horrendous emotional bloodletting seems to be much more appealing to the couch potatoes of the land :(

Cheers,
Toddy

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Toddy said:
I know of several initiatives in this country working in a similar vein. George, in the W. Highlands, works with a group that does highly regarded courses with young people recommended to them by assorted social agencies. Mike works with Forest Schools which is a bit more ad hoc, but again is achieving excellent things with individuals.
Both these groups use the natural environment as an inspirational 'workshop' base, and the skills necessary to be comfortable in the forest, hills, moors and on the lochs and rivers, are taught by experienced tutors. While the obvious focus is on teaching outdoor crafts and skills, behavioural and social issues are addressed too.
Thing sad is that no one makes tv programmes about quiet but successful work that encourages individuals, who may be severely disruptive and personally damaging, to take stock and make the decisions and the efforts to improve their lives while taking responsibility for their actions.
Loud screaming headlines about thuggish, loutish behaviour and horrendous emotional bloodletting seems to be much more appealing to the couch potatoes of the land :(

Cheers,
Toddy

Plus one

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE