Bramble for hand drill?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
Found a piece of Bramble this evening, its quite straight and about 30 inches long and a bit bigger than finger thick. So could i use this as a hand drill?

Thanks

Brian

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Worth a go I suppose, but I'd make sure to get rid of the thorns first ! ;) :lmao:
The hand drills I've seen that were successful were a bit thinner than you are describing though.
I'd be interested to know if it works....

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Possible but......

For me bramble hand drills need to be about the thickest you can find, depending on your fingers then you might have the right size. However, I find that the thicker a hand drill the more effort you have to put in to get the result.

Have a go, and compare it with other materials and let us know how you got on.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Welsh Dragon,just to echo what Rich says i to have much more success using a thinner drill piece,i've tried thicker ones but to no avail. When using a thicker drill it just seems to be to much surface area in the hearth making it difficult to maintain an even speed whilst using downward pressure,basically i usually just run out of steam and grind to a halt without getting an ember.

Keep us posted if you do manage to crack it though!

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
Thanks guys, I'm just on the look out for suitable looking materials at the moment. I haven't tried fire by friction by any method yet :bluThinki

I still need to practise my ember to flame technique. I don't want to try something 'til i'm confident i'm gonna get an end result, else my hand drill/bow drill is gonna end up in lots of lil pieces being launched across a field :lmao:

Brian

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Welsh Dragon said:
I still need to practise my ember to flame technique. I don't want to try something 'til i'm confident i'm gonna get an end result, else my hand drill/bow drill is gonna end up in lots of lil pieces being launched across a field :lmao:

:werd:
Sounds familiar....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE