brain tan buckskin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
Hello, I have taken a long break from the bushcraft forums the last couple of years due to generally being to busy and also concentrating more on my woodland indian crafts.
One thing I have done during my break is teach myself How to brain tan leather. This came about due to me finding deerskins very difficult to source in the UK so I decided to make sure i had good materials by making the materials myself. I mostly use red deer hides but have also tanned roe and fallow deer but found the roe deer to light for what i tend to make and fallow deer are not as readily available to me. These are 2 hides i have recently tanned taking advantage of some decent weather for a change. I tend to use pork brains as these are readily available to me.

10.5 sq ft

8.5 sq ft.
As i mentioned before i produce this leather to use in my woodland Indian crafts and over the last couple of years have been learning quite a few different techniques including quillwork, earth pigment painting, twining and false embroidery

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
thanks for the comments guys. My hides are sourced from people who stalk deer. So they kinda arrive in a glut during the winter months then i get them to the just add brains stage then all that needs doing is re hydrating the dry hides with brains ready to soften when the weather warms up. As for Moccasins thanks for the offer wanderinstar but i already make them (mainly woodlands/great lakes styles).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE