Braiding/Plating termination dilemma!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
HI Peep's,

ok, i've just finished my first attempt at braiding/plating. I've ended up with six end's of cord that i need to terminate so as to stop the plat unravelling. I've tried a 'Turks head' which ended up as a 'birds nest' and have come to the conclusion that i am not naturally gifted when it comes to following simple step-by-step instructions.

Has anyone got any suggestions for this termination that may help me out, bearing in mind it must be for the hard of thinking!:eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Yeah I know about the bird's nest thing too :rolleyes:
Well, y'know, you could just thread them through a wooden, antler or bone bead and glue them in. You could even use resin and charcoal glue and a home made bead and it'd be really bushcrafty.
Failing that, over sew the six strands together, wrap another small band of leather around them and stitch that on too, then cut each strand into three or four finer ends and leave it as a tassel.

cheers,
Toddy

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Yes, I know the birds nest feeling too. My thinking on it, is that a turks head is actually a cover knot to conceal the mess you made when terminating - it is a separate knot which slips over the knot you finished with and tightens over it to look pretty. You can terminate with a crown and wall knot quite comfortably if you want to keep it simple or any of the other option linked to above.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
are you familiar with the standard 4 core 'scoobie'? - I finish my leather ones off by 'tucking back and feeding through' - I'm pretty sure the same would work for a 6 strand.

I'll try it tonight, all being well, and post some piccies if I am sucessful if you like....

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
just had a quick 'play' with the only thing to hand - cat5 network cable and though a mess have proved the technique will work for 6 strands! :D

The hard bit will be to photo it in such a way as you can understand it! :rolleyes: :lmao:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Tie the ends off with some thread.
That's gets over the problem of having to hold them to stop them unraveling...;)

6 strands as a tassle can look a little pale as Toddy says. You could add a few more tassley bits if you wanted to by folding over a lace and tying it on with the thread. Do a couple of these and then cover the thread with something. I like Toddys idea of wrapping lace around it or using a toggle type thing...

Got me thinking now...

Mark

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Thanks for the replies, i do seem to have fingers like pig's dumpling's when it comes to things like this, AND i teach engineering for crying out loud!

If it's any good, it's paracord that i'm using. I've braided it onto my sheath for use as a Baldrick (ok, the Mrs braided it!) and it's looking oh so good, it's just this last bit that i'm at a loss over. I've tried the 'Matthew Walker' and i'm afraid it all fell apart a la Three men and a baby nappy scene!

HELP!

leon-1

Jed, there are two main characters on here that could probably help you, one is Buckshot, one of the mods, the other is Schwert (who is a mine of information and a decent chap to boot).

If you get in touch with either of these guys then you should be on the right track.

Apart from that you are going to need nautical help, as in the past the guys that I have met that have been exceptional at it have been sailors / seamen. Have a look online for books on macrame.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
jed - can you post a pic of the lanyard as it is now? - It may help as to what we have to finish;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
OK - I'm still not convinced how clear this will be but here goes!

1. Start point - this is created by performing the 'knot' shown by pic 2 (chicken and egg dilemma)
imag0127ni9.jpg

2. pass each cord over its neighbour in a clockwise direction and then pass the sith one through the loop created by the first
imag0128hw7.jpg

3. Step above tightened a little
imag0129yf5.jpg

4. now pass each cord under the next and up through the hole (hopefully that makes sence - not sure how else to describe) and gradually tighten all
imag0130my4.jpg

5. Finished 'turks head' type knot from the side. All threads exit from the middle of the knot and it is secure
imag0131gk3.jpg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Graham, That looks like Crown and wall knot - nice one.

Mark, What was that braiding book you recommended? I've forgotten! :eek: :D

There are two books that I like.
Braiding fine leather and the encyclopedia of Braiding
sheath107.jpg

This is what I meant about adding tassles...
sheath082.jpg

sheath083.jpg

sheath084.jpg

sheath106.jpg

Cheers

mark

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I almost always use a crown and wall knot to terminate my braids. Whipping and covering with a turks head or cowboy knot is very nice, but takes more work. This is fast, secure and looks pretty good.

Take a look at my article here for the crown and wall...

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=159

I have a short cowboy knot in part 2 that could be used if you want to whip and then cover.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=160

I have to admit this knot always causes me troubles until I get it at the end then I say that was easy....next time I have the same troubles. It is a nice look however.:D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Buckshot, you have FAR more pacience than I do! That braiding looks great (shame about the knife on he end of it. just kidding ;) )

I've been after a copy of the right hand book in the photo for ages, but it's like hen's teeth and gold dust in one!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Mental, absolutely mental! Thanks Graham, for a valiant effort that my 15 month old boy could understand, yet it drove me mad for 5 HOURS this afternoon! Maybe, it just is not me. Believe me, i've tried, and i'm not the type of person to give up, but this is seriously pressing my button's!

Is anyone going to the bushmoot who could perhaps teach me, on a one to one basis, how to TIE A KNOT!!!!!!!!!**@#£$:banghead: :rant: :eek:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Dave, lol :lmao:
IIRC I got Bruce Grant's book from amazon...

Jedadiah, I'm going to the moot, if I remember I'll bring some lace with me. Track me down at some point and we'll sort something out I'm sure.

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE