Boys only micro adventure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
The early morning mist hung low in the garden. With a grey sky and everything wet from overnight rain, the boy and I agreed over our breakfast that we should go into the forest. It was threatening more rain but we both knew bad weather only means a quieter forest to move through.

I grabbed my day pack from the garage and threw in a few things and off we went.

c660b863f73384abe3edd24bba2f5bc3.jpg

After a stroll along muddy paths and through dripping undergrowth we found a spot to set up the tarp. I went for the plow set up for ease. The DD 3x3 gives loads of space and my Jerven Original served as the ground sheet. The boy went searching for logs to walk along as I got everything sorted. He found a teepee frame that someone had put up, so we both explored it, building a story about how it came to be there. Cavemen made it to protect themselves from the dragons that hide in the forest.......

Everything was soaked from the rain. I had collected some birch bark on the way in. I lit it with a lighter and put it over some split oak branches. As the flame grew I slowly added birch twigs, layering it up as the flames rose. After 10 minutes of gently feeding the fire I had a good heat. I put on the old BCB mug to heat the water for hot chocolate.

9de8ca5478b98faaf07c0a73b51c5369.jpg

While the water came to the boil, we played 'I spy' and munched our way through some cookies. I was surprised to hear stories about cavemen and more dragons and what the word 'definition' means from a seven year old. Some good conversation for father and son......

fb62073a9ba9a7cdcbd7447a19000018.jpg

When the water bubbled i took it off the fire and stirred in the hot chocolate. We chatted away and it was nice to hear that my boy likes to listen to the fire crackle and to be in the forest. A few gentle blows over the mug and a warming drink was served to him. Smiles all round!

c5de836c041d04f94d987e77f99d6db8.jpg

17b05456eda8a6770f08645410fd3110.jpg

More conversation about allsorts followed. We talked about the rain (it came down harder as we talked), how the trees grow, if there were any dragons in the forest still, the difference between rabbits ears and a hares ears........ both of us giggling and teasing each other.

21f43db4dcec9534aee9adca9a2d0336.jpg

Eventually the hot chocolate was finished. We helped each other pack everything away. We made sure that the fire was out and cleared away, then headed home. 3 hours of awesome forest time......

5786c5d6774bc705bb318dd2e6f824fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Memories :) good memories for you both, and quality time that's unbeatable.

Thank you for sharing :) I hope you both have many more such wanders.

M

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
The early morning mist hung low in the garden. With a grey sky and everything wet from overnight rain, the boy and I agreed over our breakfast that we should go into the forest. It was threatening more rain but we both knew bad weather only means a quieter forest to move through.

I grabbed my day pack from the garage and threw in a few things and off we went.

c660b863f73384abe3edd24bba2f5bc3.jpg

After a stroll along muddy paths and through dripping undergrowth we found a spot to set up the tarp. I went for the plow set up for ease. The DD 3x3 gives loads of space and my Jerven Original served as the ground sheet. The boy went searching for logs to walk along as I got everything sorted. He found a teepee frame that someone had put up, so we both explored it, building a story about how it came to be there. Cavemen made it to protect themselves from the dragons that hide in the forest.......

Everything was soaked from the rain. I had collected some birch bark on the way in. I lit it with a lighter and put it over some split oak branches. As the flame grew I slowly added birch twigs, layering it up as the flames rose. After 10 minutes of gently feeding the fire I had a good heat. I put on the old BCB mug to heat the water for hot chocolate.

9de8ca5478b98faaf07c0a73b51c5369.jpg

While the water came to the boil, we played 'I spy' and munched our way through some cookies. I was surprised to hear stories about cavemen and more dragons and what the word 'definition' means from a seven year old. Some good conversation for father and son......

fb62073a9ba9a7cdcbd7447a19000018.jpg

When the water bubbled i took it off the fire and stirred in the hot chocolate. We chatted away and it was nice to hear that my boy likes to listen to the fire crackle and to be in the forest. A few gentle blows over the mug and a warming drink was served to him. Smiles all round!

c5de836c041d04f94d987e77f99d6db8.jpg

17b05456eda8a6770f08645410fd3110.jpg

More conversation about allsorts followed. We talked about the rain (it came down harder as we talked), how the trees grow, if there were any dragons in the forest still, the difference between rabbits ears and a hares ears........ both of us giggling and teasing each other.

21f43db4dcec9534aee9adca9a2d0336.jpg

Eventually the hot chocolate was finished. We helped each other pack everything away. We made sure that the fire was out and cleared away, then headed home. 3 hours of awesome forest time......

5786c5d6774bc705bb318dd2e6f824fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Crikey im in bits here, you should write for a living ! My son been based in Oz for the last 13 yrs but hopefully he'll return within 2 with his own boy, Adventures on the horizon. Thanks for sharing Sir

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE