Bowyer's Float

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
While reading Bardster's great article on making a bow in the BCUK mag, I saw his reference to a bowyer's float. Looking at the picture on the coat of arms, I was sure I remembered seeing something very similar.

A quick flick through the Dick Fine Tools catalogue and I found it:
Yuan Float

"Chinese carpenters traditionally use the Float scraping plane for precisely shaping both flat and curved hardwood surfaces. The tool consists of multiple aligned scraper blades set virtually vertically in a wooden block. The tool’s action is similar to that of a single scraper blade, yet with the advantage that it is able to produce a uniformly smooth surface on even the most highly figured woods. Very efficient for rapidly removing stock when correcting the flatness or curvature of a surface."

Hopefully someone will find this useful! :D

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I did also notice your comment of "I would not follow my example buying every tool that you like the look of!"
Well in this case I suppose you've got more of an excuse as it's a bit of history! :D

I will warn you though that Dick has a lot of nice products - I could spend a lot of money with them!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE