bowyers a question for you

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I wouldn't think so. Too light - too little wood in the wood.

I have heard of bows made from Willow and other similar woods, but you have to make 'em wide (3") and long so that they can take the strain.

Give it a go anyway - the worst case is that you get some tool practice and some fire wood (that is providing it doesn't snap and hit you on the head and in the rocks at the same time of course ;-).

Peter

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry boss poplar is not what your looking for.
Pretty much all other woods besides maybe sycamore and lime will make a bow. There are some who will say "any wood will make a bow" and they will if your we versed and dont mind making it sixteen feet long and 2 feet wide.
If your stuck for a stave just give me a shout ;)

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I wouldn't think so. Too light - too little wood in the wood.

I have heard of bows made from Willow and other similar woods, but you have to make 'em wide (3") and long so that they can take the strain.

Give it a go anyway - the worst case is that you get some tool practice and some fire wood (that is providing it doesn't snap and hit you on the head and in the rocks at the same time of course ;-).

Peter

I've seen that happen - while really sorry for the guy whose bow had gone, I could not help but :lmao:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I believe that Poplar is the wood of choice for making steam tractor brake pads!! I remember from watching one of those Fred Dibnah programs. Something about the ignition point or smoke point due to friction and Poplar being the least to combust or something?

Steve.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
For a reasonable first bow I got some ash, pretty good straight grain free from knots and easy to work, not a brilliant bow but a good learning experience. now looking for another stave might try a bit of elm when I get some spare time from doing my new dormer on my house. (managed to get a few days rest by pulling a muscle trying to manouvre a fire door on my own up a narrow stairway with a winder)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE