Bowdrill help please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The other thing people often do is treat it too gently, blow gently at first and steadily increase the force until you are blowing as hard as you can into the heart of the bundle and hold the bundle firmly too. Also, it's worth pulling the bundle away from your face as you take the next big breath.

Seoras's tip on blowing it to flame on the ground works especially well when getting people to use the group method, that way all participants feel an ownership of the flames :D

Well done for giving it a go, sounds like you're gaining a lot of confidence in the coal-making part and a good flame will only increase that.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
Good work Dom. Welcome to the tribe. Your skill will surely improve. Here is a tip. I usually touch my coal to a couple pieces of punk (rotten willow works well) to have an extra coal going for insurance. I demonstrated the hand drill and bow drill two nights ago for the Audubon Society. They seemed to be most excited seeing it blown into flame.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE