bow saw blade advice please

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
evening all, im just in the process of making a folding bow saw similar to the ray mears one, iv made the two side pieces but cant decide what size blade to go for, 21'' is probably best to use but is a bit long to keep in rucksack iv already got my axe pocking out, the alternate blades i think are 12'' or 15'' but ive never used one that small, just wondering if anyone has made one and what blade they chose.
thanks for any advice cheers ash

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Howdy, I went for a 21" as I think it will give me a wider range of log thickness to be able to process, it isn't top long as to be unmanageable even if strapped to the outside of my pack and axminster tools stock org tooth and Raker tooth in this lenth.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd say

"Make several cross pieces and try a variety of sizes and find what suits you best"

Don't forget you can coil a bow saw balde inside a billy can to fit it in your pack. I use a 20" blade in a plastic cover - it slides inside the frame pocket.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
The classic way to carry a bow saw blade is coiled up in a billy can. Length (at least in carriage) is almost unimportant.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I would have thought that the 12 & 15 inch blades would be so restricted in length of stroke as to be virtually useless and entirely surpassed by using a Laplander. 24" is my blade of preference, bundled with the rest of the buck saw frame which masks the teeth from catching in a pack but long enough to process reasonable logs if needed.

ATB

Ogri the trog

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
iv been and got 2 21" inch bahco blades today which is about the same size as my sf axe, so now i can crack on whilst the missis watches the f a cup final(shes a stoke fan).
then i want to make a canvas sleeve for it,
il try and sort some picks out as i no pictureless threads can be boring
cheers gents ash

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
As promised a pic.
Hope you like. Thanks ash
c1238406-7ced-faa1.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I would have thought that the 12 & 15 inch blades would be so restricted in length of stroke as to be virtually useless ... 24" is my blade of preference ...

I'd agree completely, except that I bought a cheap set from Aldi (I think) for my wife and it had a small one in with it. Can't off-hand remember if it's 12" or 15", but whatever it is she loves it.

As promised a pic.

Very nice job, especially with minimal tools. That's the Bushcraft Way!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I went for a 21'' blade bahco and i keep it in a lenth of 25mm conduit. Not to keen on the billy can methed as the blades are lethal, if it flicked out it would about slit ya neck which would ruin ya day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE