Bow Making - Just how difficult is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2011
England.
Hello,

I've been meaning to learn how to craft a bow and arrow from completely natural materials.

I understand that a lot of it will be trial and error whilst I pick it up, but on the whole is it difficult?

Apparently Sweden has started to allow some forms of bow hunting, though I think it currently excludes large game such as bear and deer.
Nonetheless I would still be interested in learning how to make one and then hunt the things I can hunt legally.

Thanks!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
There are plenty of threads here about Bow making, however in this country it is illegal to hunt with a bow.

Come to the Moot and there may be a couple of classes on Bow making.

Cheers

George

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its like any other craft i suppose, its easy to make a bad but still working/shootable bow and a lifetime, possibly never to master every bow design and bow wood and material out there.
I have been bowyerin for about 5 years now and put in some serious hours over the past few years and i rekon i am only just scraping the surface and thats the way i like it to be honest, never stop learning and always a new design to try. :D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
google selfbow - plenty of youtube clips showing the process - the time you invest in the bow will pay dividents but a survival bow can be knocked up quite simply - it just wont last

Commander,

Some years ago I made an English longbow from a yew stave I bought mail order, along with a couple of how-to books. I took my time, and the result met my hopes in every way. I've used it at longbow shoots at ranges up to 200 yards.

If you're patient and not a complete klutz with drawknives, etc., you shouldn't have any trouble. Frequent use of the tillering stick is the key to obtaining a bow with an even draw and proper flex.

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
Hello,

I've been meaning to learn how to craft a bow and arrow from completely natural materials.

I understand that a lot of it will be trial and error whilst I pick it up, but on the whole is it difficult?

Apparently Sweden has started to allow some forms of bow hunting, though I think it currently excludes large game such as bear and deer.
Nonetheless I would still be interested in learning how to make one and then hunt the things I can hunt legally.

Thanks!

Just to keep things simple (and legal) - bowhunting anything at all is still illegal in Sweden. There's an ongoing process trying to change this but no luck so far.

//K9_75

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Last week I went along on a 5-day school trip. During the trip the kids each made a simple bow, then shot it. I guess they spent about 4 hours making each bow, including time taken to cut the green hazel and excluding chatting, time taken to dry green wood over a stove, and doing the stuff 13-yr-olds do.
These were very basic bows. Each one used two hazel (or ash) thin saplings, cutting about 1meter of straight wood from each. Peel bark, shave a chamfer on each for a scarf joint. Put scarf joint in a 12cm bit of old steel tent pole. Cut a groove for a nock. Use baling twin for a string.

The idea of using two saplings is that they naturally have a taper, removing the need to tiller the limbs.

See the results below:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=picasacid&feature=player_embedded[/video]

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just to keep things simple (and legal) - bowhunting anything at all is still illegal in Sweden. There's an ongoing process trying to change this but no luck so far.

//K9_75

Even when/if it becomes legal it would likely be wise to study the law carefully. In most places where bow hunting is legal there are restrictions on just what draw weights (usually a minimum draw weight for a specific species) and types of bows are allowed/required. Also similar requirements/restrictions on arrows and arrowheads. For example blunts are normally used for arboreal small game whereas a claw point is used for ground dwelling small game (to prevent arrow loss from the arrow skimming under the turf) and a minimum number of blades is usually placed on broadheads for big game.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE