bow hunting in England????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I think the legislation was drawn up to stop the poor people being able to feed themselves on the landowners `game` -rather than animals suffering a slow death !!!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Further to the above there is nothing in the legislation to say that legal items may not be offered for sale. Offering something legal for sale is a legitimate reason and excuse for possessing them. Surprised they didn't charge her with breach of the peace as they seem to charge everybody else with that.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow - opression of the poor and anti police sentiments? I think this thread is doomed on political posts now!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it was rather concerns over just exactly who among the known local knavery were seen to be purchasing the arrows :rolleyes:

Nuggets.....sport or dinner ? It's a centuries old dispute that one.

Santaman2000, no worries, just a heads up that the thread was drifting beyond the shores and into the discussion of American firearms.

Dwardo, the leatherwork was lovely, it really was. If you get a chance to get to one of the big reenactors markets near Warwick there are always archery suppliers on site.

I think that's me caught up :)

The oldest longbow known of in the UK came from a peat bog known as Rotten Bottom.
Made of Yew, the bow is over 5,500 years old.

cheers,
M

Nope, missed BR's ......close, but we'll try harder :D

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think its just as likely there wasn't representation/consultation with an active bowhunting organisation when the legislation was drawn up than any other reason.

most legislations is drawn up by the uninitiated after all...

Your point is valid. On both sides of the Atlantic and on ALL legislation. Not just hunting legislation.

However it does beg the question; were there any active bowhunting organizations when the legislation was drafted? If not, why not? If the answer is No, there weren't any organizations and the reason is because there just weren't enough bowhunters, then the banning of bowhunting might be a moot point anyway. And this coming from an avid hunter who loves to dabble into bowhunting.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A quick question: We've already established that bowhunting is illegal in the UK and legal in the US. But does anybody know if it's legal in Europe? If so, what countries? Have any of you ever been bowhunting or bowfishing; please limit any yes answers and comments to those times when you've done so legally in a place where it was or is still legal (per forum rules) If so, how did you like it?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over most of Northern Europe it's illegal.
There's a map, showing where it is legal to bowhunt, that can be found here :-
http://www.europeanbowhunting.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=30

Do bear in mind that site's obvious bias though.

cheers,
Toddy

If I'm reading that map correctly (green balloon means legal and red ballon means illegal) then it looks like 17 countries illegal vs 14 countries legal.

I'm not sure about that figure they posted for 1.1 million deer taken by archery in North America in 2011. Frankly that number seems a bit low.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Over most of Northern Europe it's illegal.
There's a map, showing where it is legal to bowhunt, that can be found here :-
http://www.europeanbowhunting.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=30

Do bear in mind that site's obvious bias though.

cheers,
Toddy

Great point of reference thanks.

Check out the requirements for a license, i would not have a hope in hell of passing! Not even on a very good day.

Presently all hunters must take Danish Bowhunter exam in Denmark as well as pass a proficiency test. Five out of six hunting arrows have to hit within the vital area of respectively Roedeer, fox, hare, goose, pheasant and duck. Distance varying from 5 to 25 meters. The bow must fulfil the requirements for hunting.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great point of reference thanks.

Check out the requirements for a license, i would not have a hope in hell of passing. Not even on a very good day.

Presently all hunters must take Danish Bowhunter exam in Denmark as well as pass a proficiency test. Five out of six hunting arrows have to hit within the vital area of respectively Roedeer, fox, hare, goose, pheasant and duck. Distance varying from 5 to 25 meters. The bow must fulfil the requirements for hunting.

Nor would I with a traditional bow. I suspect (I haven't read that in depth yet) that the exam and hunting is done with a modern bow though (meaning a compound with bowsights)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nor would I with a traditional bow. I suspect (I haven't read that in depth yet) that the exam and hunting is done with a modern bow though (meaning a compound with bowsights)

I just dont have the time to practice and I bet its a hell of an undertaking for an archer to get to those constant standards.
Even more impressive when its a self bow with nothing to aid him besides skill and experience. I guess the whole tech bow thing would be a definite leg up I bet its still hard work.
The site quotes a very low wounding rate comparable to other methods of hunting. Only the sites word for it mind but interesting read.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I read a link on the british bowhunters website [they want it legalised rather than they actually go break the law] that went into bow and arrow tuning, very complicated. It is the differance between kill and injury. Basically the umph from the bow in straight line [bow tuning] combined with the arrow head wieght and flight width and setting [arrow tuning] done properly can mean an arrow rotating inside a large animal making a kill very quickly opposed to an arrow just sticking in animal causing suffering.

I will see if i can dig out the link.

Edit I cant find the link but here is news article discribing the process http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/2010/10/28/tactics_broadhead_flight/

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Your point is valid. On both sides of the Atlantic and on ALL legislation. Not just hunting legislation.

However it does beg the question; were there any active bowhunting organizations when the legislation was drafted? If not, why not? If the answer is No, there weren't any organizations and the reason is because there just weren't enough bowhunters, then the banning of bowhunting might be a moot point anyway. And this coming from an avid hunter who loves to dabble into bowhunting.

Not realy sure, I'm not a hunter I've no idea. I do know the legislation was passed before the internet so rallying the troops wouldn't have been that easy. Lets be honest most of these (our) activities are considered alternative to your average voter, but make great media headlines when controlled.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I just dont have the time to practice and I bet its a hell of an undertaking for an archer to get to those constant standards.
Even more impressive when its a self bow with nothing to aid him besides skill and experience. I guess the whole tech bow thing would be a definite leg up I bet its still hard work.
The site quotes a very low wounding rate comparable to other methods of hunting. Only the sites word for it mind but interesting read.

I have the time (now that I'm retired) but not really the interest in the technical bows. Never did really. I hope I didn't give the impression that I was any good with one; just meant that I could see where they'd be more easy to shoot to the standards and that they were likely what's used there.

Traditional bows are more interesting to me but I suspect the average bowhunter could care less. It's just an extra hunting season for most of them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not realy sure, I'm not a hunter I've no idea. I do know the legislation was passed before the internet so rallying the troops wouldn't have been that easy. Lets be honest most of these (our) activities are considered alternative to your average voter, but make great media headlines when controlled.

Yeah they do make good headlines don't they. Even better if there's a controversial debate over it though. LOL.

Risking taking the thread back to the US vs UK direction though when I say that outdoor pursuits (particularly hunting and shooting sports) are a bit more mainstream over here. For the time being anyway; urbanization is creeping in.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
we just dont have the free land any more - we are are very small island in comparison to the US

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I understand that. When I was there though there was a definite number of "country folk" still living a country lifestyle.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
......well the option is that the urbanites come visiting your country peace while loaded for bear to take out rabbits. Not recommended really.

Personally I don't feel the divide; I step out the back door and just keep walking and I'm in countryside fairly quickly. That's true for much of urban Scotland though, we're never far from water or countryside.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......well the option is that the urbanites come visiting your country peace while loaded for bear to take out rabbits. Not recommended really.

Personally I don't feel the divide; I step out the back door and just keep walking and I'm in countryside fairly quickly. That's true for much of urban Scotland though, we're never far from water or countryside.

cheers,
M

TBH Toddy that's the way I remember most of the UK. Unless it was a really bg city like London or Birmingham you were never really far from the countryside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE