bow friction lighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

have u done friction fire lighting

• Yes and i found it easy

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Yes and i found it hard

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • No but i wanna try it

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
rik_uk3 said:
I still don't think it a traditional UK skill mate.
This thought got me doing a fair bit of surfing to see what I could find about any tradition of friction fire in the UK. And I was fascinated with the result - the ancient tradtion of the "Need fire" or "Force fire". See other thread.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yes, I found it hard when I started learning. After now getting about 3 dozen coals, it's getting easier. But that was with a good proven kit. Now I have been experimenting with finding/making my own hearth boards and drills. Now THAT'S when the HARD PART really kicks in!

So I struggle on in my journey. The Hand Drill is next!

Mike Ameling - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

pataviking

Feb 21, 2007
ozarks, U S A
A friend at work and I were just talking about this. he went with his son on a trip thru school to a small theme park called Frontier Land or something like that. anyhow he is an more of a buckskinner and at the park they should how they used to do it using a bow drill and tinder, fire in 10 seconds. the drill and base were made of yucca stalk and charcloth with cedar bark tinder. a few days later he was reading an old book he has am I want to borrow and it says yucca stalk is #1 to make bow drills from he forgot #2 something he never heard of, #3 is red cedar. maybe knowing what works best for others might help you. now I am looking at little old ladies flower beds for yucca plants. Pat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE