Bow drill success, woohoo!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glydr

Feb 17, 2010
Wirral
Happy days, after failing at it about a million times I have just succeedied in producing fire from a bowdrill, I am so excited and chuffed to bits that I feel I must tell absolutely everybody in the whole world, starting with you guys on here.:)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Well done buddy, you can now make fire with nothing but knowledge and your shoelaces ;) Have a go at making some cordage bow strings and doing it, then you are talking Bushcraft Jedi status!! Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!! (in my best yoda voice lol)

Glydr

Feb 17, 2010
Wirral
Aye thats the logical next step, my bow and spindle were sycamore with paracord, my hearth was unidentified wood from a piece of furniture, pine possibly and my bearer block was a limpet shell. Tinder was just a bunch of really dry wood shavings I had in a biscuit tin. I started it indoors and then the room just started filling with smoke so walked outside, blew on it a bit more and presto!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I teach groups about basic firelighting, I always get asked about the bowdrill method.
I tell them that it is easy once you know how.
How to make the bow, the hearth,the spindle, the bearer block etc etc;)

It took me a good few go's to get the right bits and pieces and make them work.

It's considerably harder to teach yourself, than to be shown how to do it by someone else, so very well done indeed:35:

atb

R.B.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Congratulations. You'll find it does get easier the more you do it and learn that 'nack' as second nature. Nothing harder than the first time.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
Congrats. The best combination I have found is to use a Yucca spindle and a Cottonwood hearth. I put a leaf under the notch to catch the ember. In my experience it is much easier to transfer the ember to the tinder bundle. I have tried it with the tinder bundle underneath of the hearth and it was destroyed. Another tip I learned from Cody Lundin is to use the spindle to tap the hearth once the ember is formed to free it from the notch.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE