Bow drill problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The other day I decided to have a go at a bow drill from wood laying about, I used ash for the drill and field maple for the hearth. After I realised I needed to lubricate the bearing block with some plant leaves I managed to produce plenty of smoke and charring but no embers.

So, I had a look through some old threads and decided to use sycamore on sycamore. That also produces plenty of smoke, charing and piles of black embers but as soon as I stop 'bowing' the embers go out. Do I simply need to continue for longer or does this suggest another problem?

My main problem however, is the bow string doesn't seem to last long so I wonder what other people use? Are there any tips on keeping the string intact?

Any help gratefully received. Finally, anyone recommend a decent lighter? :lmao:

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
The other day I decided to have a go at a bow drill from wood laying about, I used ash for the drill and field maple for the hearth. After I realised I needed to lubricate the bearing block with some plant leaves I managed to produce plenty of smoke and charring but no embers.

So, I had a look through some old threads and decided to use sycamore on sycamore. That also produces plenty of smoke, charing and piles of black embers but as soon as I stop 'bowing' the embers go out. Do I simply need to continue for longer or does this suggest another problem?

My main problem however, is the bow string doesn't seem to last long so I wonder what other people use? Are there any tips on keeping the string intact?

Any help gratefully received. Finally, anyone recommend a decent lighter? :lmao:

did you get the wood direct out of the forest? than maybe its still a bit moister in it
i use hazel on birch, and when i have the problem you have, its usual to moist still or i didn't go long and fast enough on the end

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
heres an interesting thread for bow drill fire making,

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12409

I used willow on willow, dryest wood possible because you are losing lots of energy with damp woods. My biggest mistake was having the hearth the wrong way round which caused instability and more loss of energy but I still managed to get it to flame. I used 550 paracord for the string tentioned by fingers till it started to smoke.

Originally Posted by andy_e
I've had good success with that combo too, and also with a poplar spindle on lime, willow, sycamore and poplar hearths.

I find a good hazel spindle will work with most hearths, but as has been said already I think it all comes down to practice, perseverance and technique.
There's a lot of help there, once you have cracked it you will appreciate.

First time I tried a few weeks ago it took me more than 3 hours to get near smoke. The next day i cracked it after about another 2 hours.

what I learnt from this is Its a Quality thing more than quantity. Technique! Technique!
I used willow on willow, I had a hearth that was half circle so it kept rolling around under my foot on it lol, the bow string was too tight and kept pinging off whenever i got near to smoke.
it was a comedy or errors! Think i would of got an ASBO for the noise it was making! But eventually by looking at what i was doing i had managed to jam the bearing block against my shin and loosened the cord and controlled the tension with my fingers when needed. It actually sounds like you are getting good grinding friction (it's a sound that sounds right although you've never heard it before) and I kept going for a good 1 minute after i got reasonable smoke. And presto the coal was there, I managed to get it to flame with some cotton wool and magazine strips.

If you could do something the hard way, I picked it those 2 days.
So it's not necessarily what you have but how you do it. Heres the kit i used.

Last edited:

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi play about with the tightening the string, this will help to lentghen the life of it a bit, and check your v cut on your hearth wood, hazel drill sycamore hearth works very well ,make your cut out a good quater to half inch from the edge and away you go, hope this helps

nenook

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Only learned a couple of months ago, and self taught but the thing that really works for me, and others I've shown is to relax and get a good rythm going...

Keep the spindle dead vertical, only a little pressure is needed to start and watch the char fill the notch of the hearth. For me, when its full thats when i go for the ember.
High speed and as much pressure as you can handle for as long as you can.

I've watched three people- one after the other that have never tried the bow before get coals first attempt, and then onto fire.

From what i gather, technique is just as important as wood choice... maybe even critical.

With regards to the spindle and lubrication, one tip i picked up that works really well is to wipe the bearing block side of the spindle on the side of your noise (that side, not in-side LoL)

Your (and everyone else's) nose natrually produces oil, and it makes an effective job.

Have fun, its a very rewarding process! al.

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks for all the replies. I've seen a few videos and I think my technique is ok, I could do with a better bow but I don't think that's the problem.

The wood is seasoned, from our wood pile, so perhaps a little damp. I've dried it off over the last few days so that should be fine now.

I think I just need to drill a bit longer, string permitting. Thanks for the suggestion of the starter rope, I'll keep my eyes open for some when I next go shopping. I'll try doubling up the string I've got for now.

Although I was joking about the lighter I am looking for one and the IMCO sounds ideal, so thanks for that suggestion as well.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Success! I found a decent piece of braded cord and doubled it up as suggested, and it's lasting much longer. I've realised that you need to fill the 'V' with the embers before they seem to start to smoulder on their own so I just need to drill for a few seconds more. Funnily enough I couldn't get my tinder to flame to start with so I had to produce half a dozen smouldering embers before I got a flame - still worthwhile practice. I still need more practice but with sycamore one sycamore it does seem quite easy to get a glowing ember quite quickly, so ideal for beginners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE