bow drill made easy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
please find pictures of my easy to use bearing block for bow drill notice the bearing
john017.jpg

john016.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Neat idea John ! Not something I'd like to try to knock up whilst out in the woods ( it takes just too much effort and sooo much charcoal to smelt decent steel :lmao: ) but as most of us carry our kits made up, including our favourite bearing blocks, I think that's an idea that will catch on fast witha lot of guys.

Am I right in guessing that your set is hazel drill and lime hearth ? Good combination if it is.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Ive been using the bearing block for about a year now and all is workin fine The ball race is from an old washing machine motor I used a roughter to form its seeting and super glued it in > the bow kit is willow Remember folks if this bearing block catchs on remember where you first saw it BCUK

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
The bearing will be specified for a reasonable load on a steel axle probably at 1500 or 3000rpm. Bow drilling won't give it any abuse. Once upon a time I was after an axle for a Trebuchet and tried a bike sealed bottom bracket. The bearings were a little tight so I thought it could do with a little breaking in, so clamped it up in the pillar drill and left it at 1000rpm for an hour. Horribly over speed for an hour and no sign of wear at all. Sealed unit bearings are brilliant.

Great idea, sorry but I'm going to have to steal it!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Although this sounds like a good idea, don't you think it takes away the theme of ancient fire lighting methods.

Stick to using a bowdrill as is without modernizing it, your bound to get more satifaction from making fire by friction than:
'Oh, I made fire by friction with the help of sprucing up my bearing block with a bearing, maybe next time I'll use packing grease to make it a little more slicker and maybe I'll dip the tinder bundle in a bit of petrol to help it catch from the coal!"

IMHO some things should stay the way they originally are.:22:

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Ive been using the bearing block for about a year now and all is workin fine The ball race is from an old washing machine motor I used a roughter to form its seeting and super glued it in > the bow kit is willow Remember folks if this bearing block catchs on remember where you first saw it BCUK

Hi john i have done the same to my bearing block never thought of posting it Greg what do you use for the cord on your bow nothing to modern i hope :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi john i have done the same to my bearing block never thought of posting it Greg what do you use for the cord on your bow nothing to modern i hope :D

I have tried using cord made from palm leaves and it worked quite well! How about you?
I also use hemp rope most of the time too. Which I believe is very natural!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE