Bow drill - Bearing block

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I found a flattish mettle limpet shell with stella atois written on it that worked well :rolmao: amazing how many of those little critters you find in my garden just after a BBQ, must bring em out :?: :trink26: :rolmao:

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
So Gary whats the secret weapon.

"The bone THING also reminds me of a tool which can be used in bow drill fire lighting which makes the whole operation so much easier. Its a secret weapon we us on courses when a student really is struggling to suceseed and I suspect the bone wand may have been used in ceremonial fire lighting rituals where sucess was needed to be garunteed every time."

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I do it the other way round, I've glued a small agate pebble onto the bearing end of the drill and that has improved performance, It does now look like something used by merlin though, which might be an asset for ceremonial use.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
R-Bowskill said:
I do it the other way round, I've glued a small agate pebble onto the bearing end of the drill and that has improved performance, It does now look like something used by merlin though, which might be an asset for ceremonial use.

how does that work.. doesnt it rotate with the drill in your hand and get hot?

The best wood I can think of is lignum vitae. This wood has a natural, waxy characteristic and self-lubricating quality. It would make a splendid socket for a bow drill. As trivia point, the clock works of worlds first marine chronometer which gave birth to modern navigation were made of lignum vitae.

leon-1

tomtom said:
how does that work.. doesnt it rotate with the drill in your hand and get hot?

As long as the pebble is smooth and has enough surface area it will reduce friction and allow you to place enough down force via the bearing block. With the surface area bit that should be a case that it will not then drill into the bearing block itself or if it does, it will be at a reduced rate :wink:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've used all of the following, so I thought I'd pass comment on each in turn:

Bone socket (sheep 'shoulder'?) - Worked well, but quite bulky to carry around, and needed a lot of lubrication to prevent excessive wear to the spindle

River-washed Pebble - worked in the same way as the bone socket, but slightly rougher, so more lubrication needed.

Large Limpet Shell:
limpet.jpg

Worked very well as was a very smooth surface and therefore needed very little lubrication - however, being very thin it can tend to get hot, so a piece of leaf/leather held on top to prevent hand being burned is useful! These shells also have a tendency to break after repeated use, as the heat from the process weakens the shell structure. However, they are in abundant supply on all UK beaches!

Beer-bottle cap and wood (copied idea from here: Aussie FireBow )

Made by getting a small piece of wood, and putting a beer bottle sharp-edge down onto the wood and tapping slightly until it beds into the wood. The spindle is then sharpened to a point, and the pressure of this on the cap makes it indent and forms a socket. This worked very well once I got used to it, but it took a lot of practice to stop it flying out of the socket, and I just felt a bit wrong using a bit of modern waste in a primitive fire-starting kit!

(There are obvious other modern objects that can be used for bow drills, and I have used and seen used an eclectic range including shot-glasses, film canisters and the bottoms of drink cans!)

Split green branch - Made by simply cutting a small green branch from a tree (no more than say 2 inches in diameter) and splitting it vertically to provide two pieces, each with a flat side and curved side. This requires a bit of crafting to make a suitable notch for the spindle, and then also requires reasonable amounts of lubrication (top tip - remember that ear wax and the grease on the sides of your nose is a really effective lubricant!), but has the advantages of always being available, can be made with nothing more than a knife. The greenness of the wood also naturally suppresses any smoking/smouldering at that end, (although it is obviously not as smooth and frivction-free as some of the above methods). This is still the method I tend to favour, as I find the act of sitting down and preparing a hand-hold for a fire kit makes the kit itself work better for me - after all, a lot of fire-starting is to do with mental attitude as well as technique, and the construction is a big part for me! However, for my very small pocket kit, I use a limpet shell, purely for size and space reasons!

Hope this helps someone - if anyone else knows of any other obvious hand-holds, please let us know!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE