Bow and arrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
The weather's grotty and I couldn't be bothered to stray far today so I headed into the garage to work on a bow.
It's hazel, 62" from nock to nock and 1 1/2" wide. The stave had 2" of natural deflex and has picked up a 1/2" more. It had been sitting, half finished for a year since I rescued it from a brash pile. It pulls in the mid 40lb range at my 27" draw and shoots sweetly.

2008_0316Image0010.jpg

2008_0316Image0016.jpg

Also, on Friday I picked up my knapping hammer after a year or mores layoff whilst I've been playing with hot metal. I got a box of assorted spalls in trade and I delved into it for an obsidian flake and made an arrowhead. I mounted it with pitch and sinew and tied the feathers on with sinew as well (although the shafting and feathers were commercial).

2008_0316Image0017.jpg

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
A fine piece of work there, bet its a nice feeling to use something you crafted yourself bet your well pleased . especially like the obsidian arrow head.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work there fella, love the bow and the arrowhead looks superb.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ta very much:) . I have to say the obsidian was easier to work, and was more predictable than my local flint.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Nice job,I made one out of hazel too,68˝ from nock to nock,2˝wide and pulls around 55 at 27˝ ,didn't think it would last long,but now is five years,and it outlasted black locust one.Your work reminded me how good hazel wood is,and it`s very common in my woods,easy to work with.Think I`ll go and look for some staves next week.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Yep, I like hazel. It does tend to take set but it is really strong in tension. 55lbs is a good weight. I'd have liked to get the weight of this one to around that but at the width and length I had, I played it safe.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Looks great! I've never made a bow, would like to but don't think I have the skills really. Perhaps one day.. :)

Cheers, Nag.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Looks great! I've never made a bow, would like to but don't think I have the skills really. Perhaps one day.. :)

Cheers, Nag.
Making a bow is pretty easy, making a good bow is a little harder:) . There are some great tutorials over on Paleoplanet, with plenty of very knowledgable bowyers to help out with advice. Here's a link to get you started.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6222

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
:rant: i would love to have a go but never seem to come accross the right meterials
Practically you can tiller the bow out of any wood,it is just some geometry and physics and practice.Take some literature,˝Traditional bowyer's bible˝was very useful to me, I`ve found in some things I would never think of by myself.And tiller,and don't be discouraged with the first few.Anyway, working with wood is nice so you won`t waste your time.I find it very relaxing,no matter what I do,bow,scales,tool handles...wood is such a warm material,pleasure to work with.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Making a bow is pretty easy, making a good bow is a little harder:) . There are some great tutorials over on Paleoplanet, with plenty of very knowledgable bowyers to help out with advice. Here's a link to get you started.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6222

Looks very nice, both the bow and the arrowhead.... though I've got no idea what half the terms you used mean :)
Cheers for the link also. Was watching an old episode of RM and another guy making a bow and some arrows using stone age type tools the other night, was really interesting. You and Ray have inspired me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE