Bought myself a pack saddle!

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I am extatic! I finally have my very own pack saddle! :mexwave:
Obviously for the horses, not me...
It has been gathering dust for 5 years now, with the previous owner, so I got the chance to buy it.
Clearly it is in need of some love and attention, but it will be quite nice in a couple of days after treating the leather.

I am soooooo looking forward to test it on the horses!

Before picture (taken by previous owner):
Untitled by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

There will be an abundance of after-pictures, ye all be warned!

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Pleased you finally got one I know from a previous post you have been looking for one for a while.....hope it gets lots of use and both you and the horse enjoy it.

D.B.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That looks cool, you'll have to show us some photos on the horse.

I am extatic! I finally have my very own pack saddle! :mexwave:
Obviously for the horses, not me...
It has been gathering dust for 5 years now, with the previous owner, so I got the chance to buy it.
Clearly it is in need of some love and attention, but it will be quite nice in a couple of days after treating the leather.

I am soooooo looking forward to test it on the horses!

Before picture (taken by previous owner):
Untitled by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

There will be an abundance of after-pictures, ye all be warned!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I suspect, having seen some of your previous adventures, that this pack won't be gathering dust any more.

Look forward to hearing of your adventures with it and seeing the pictures.... it didn't happen if there are no pictures of it... least that's what I heard! :D

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
So true! The dusty life of this pack saddle is over :D
This one is made for horses the size of Icelandic horses and Fjords, so I can pack a lot more that I can pack on Gizmo, the Shetland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So true! The dusty life of this pack saddle is over :D
This one is made for horses the size of Icelandic horses and Fjords, so I can pack a lot more that I can pack on Gizmo, the Shetland.

Be careful that the saddle actually fits your horse (or mule or donkey) Said fit is just as important as the weight.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The precise fit of a pack saddle is even more crucial than a riding saddle for the health and comfort of the animal; but I have the impression that Arya is well versed in matters equine.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Finally! Yesterday I tried it on one of the horses for the first time :D
After several days of cleaning, oiling and eventually "greasing" the leather, it was ready for a test ride.
The horse is a young Icelandic horse with wonderful mentality, but he has never worn anything under his tail, and the first time might cause some tension in horses (and in worst case scenario; panic).
Síríus, on the other hand, didn´t care at all :) Got to love horses like that!
He ended up helping me take down some fences, and carry them to the stable. Nothing heavy! Just getting him used to the pack saddle.

To the comments about fitting, I am well aware that it needs to be precise, so I am sending photos to the manufacturer. Just in case :)
I am not putting on any weight before I have an "all clear" from them.

Síríus1 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
There´s also a cover to strap on top of the bags, but I didn´t have the need for it this time.

Síríus2 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I´ve never thought about it before, but you make a valid point :lmao:
Oh God, now I´m just going to see the Emo in him...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You'll just have to let Sirius expressive himself... maybe get him to sing some confessional lyrics whilst he carries around the fencing :D

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
He's a very nice stamp of a thing, he's certainly got a leg in each corner, eh?

That´s the exact words I´m using when talking about him (in Norwegian of course) :D
I have been lucky with the offsprings of his mother.
She produces horses with strong nerves. Good working horses!

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
You'll just have to let Sirius expressive himself... maybe get him to sing some confessional lyrics whilst he carries around the fencing :D

Hahaha! Maybe it will help, though being an Emo seems to be a permanent condition :p
Maybe I should sing "All by myself" to him, or give him a book written by Poe to read during those long evenings in the stable with too many depressing thoughts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE