Bottle net

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Started this at the Sussex meet & finished today (with long cord it's a long process)

c8d28e8e.jpg

Technique is on Stormdrane's blog. This is a £ shop bottle with £ shop utility cord - paracord is a bit thinner & would look better but this was cheap!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It was a bit but then why carve a spoon when you could just buy one? I like to think this has more purpose than a paracord bracelet - it serves a function (net can be removed from bottle & used for something else) and stores quite a length of cord should I need it.

The bottles are fine - I've had a bit of corrosion inside my other one but nothing dramatic. Well worth the money.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Ah I see now it's not actually knotted, ooh I'd have to be really desperate for some cordage to rip that apart lol.

If I attempted that, it and the bottle it houses would end up costing me a new window I reckon, I haven't got the patience and it'd look a mess if I did have. :D

Good stuff on the bottles I'll grab a couple next time I'm in. I keep looking at them but that's as far as I get. Cheers :D

Si

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That's pretty damned clever that! Nice one!

I think I'd be like Urban X on this too, I'd drop a stitch somewhere and just have to hurl it to vent my spleen!:lmao:

Saw those bottle in a £shop in Westwood Cross in Thanet the other week and got all snobby figuring they were a waste of a quid. sorta regretting not buying one now. Oh well there's always the next time I'm there.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
They're not actually difficult to make. Basically a series of hitches - there is a version that just uses half hitches on the blog.

Most difficult bit is getting it started but once you get underway it's just repetition. Dropping a stitch would be quite difficult. I can give a demo at the Sussex meet in May if required

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Indeed and its kinda therapeutic too in my opinion, almost like crocheting.
And though I agree with Spandit on the paracord would have looked sweeter thing, I still have to agree on
Simply the best use of £1.98 I have ever seen. 10 out of ten
, one question though I had a similar bottle, is the issolative value of yours also so crappy I used to burn myself when cycling to the station when there was hot tea in it, resulting in when I finally was at the station to enjoy my cup of tea it was cold.
Yours sincerely and Admiring Ruud
I like knots ^^

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's a thin metal bottle so it's never going to be much of an insulator. My other bottle, which has a different paracord net around it, is used as a hot water bottle occasionally. The net keeps it from burning me.

With this one I'd imagine you'd get a string vest effect - a thin cover over the top & it might be effectively insulated

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Not knocking continuous hitching in any way at all, but I've found that a spare pair of socks works very well for containing an alu bottle in hot-water-bottle mode.

If you hit Google images with 'needle hitching' you'll find any number of variations.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Socks would be far more effective! This was an exercise in craft - does allow the bottle to be clipped securely to things

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
hmm maybe a nice new project to add to the list for me, a Bottlesock with net?
Hmm good stuff and good tip there Bilmo thanks for that ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE