Bothy Bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Has anyone got any experience of the 4-person bothy bags http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/terra/bothy.shtml

Do they have any real advantage over regular bashas (and foil blankets for emergency use)? And are they worth the extra weight/bulk?

(And another thought after having read ChrisKavanaugh's tarp tale,:yikes:, is is reasonable to expect the bothy to fold-up and fit back in its little bag again after use???)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
This months issue of Outdoor Photography has a review of a veriaty of these bags and they rated them highly useful. It may be more relevant for open enviroments in the hills where there is less cover. Other than that I can't comment as I have never used one.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I have found then to be a excellent bit of kit if you are out with someone else. They are especially good when there is no available cover or any areas to get shelter out of the wind when you stop for something to eat or to have a brew.

I used mine last year when I came across a German couple one of which thought it would be good to go for a swim in the tran at the top of devils kitchen in Ogwen. She would have suffered without the shelter/bothey to shelter in.

If you go on your Mountain Leader course they tend to recommend them now if you are working with groups.

Hope that helps

Richie

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Devil's Kitchen isn't somewhere I'd associate normally with going for a swim!!!! Seemas that when going int the mountaisn you have to carry kit to cover other's ...

Snowdonia does see it's fair share of people unprepared ... I've seen tourists entering the hills with using tourist leaflets as maps and wearing flip-flops :shock:

Richie said:
I used mine last year when I came across a German couple one of which thought it would be good to go for a swim in the tran at the top of devils kitchen in Ogwen. She would have suffered without the shelter/bothey to shelter in.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I tell you I thought the same. I even took a picture as I couldn;t believe what I was seeing. :lol:

You are right about taking kit into the hills to cover others. I have found on more than one occasion I have left with a heavy pack to return with a light one and a few other people wearing my kit!!

I tend to always carry enough equipment in the hills to get me out of trouble. As I have a lot of friends on the Owgen and Llanberis MRT's and wouldn't be able to live it down if I had to call them out!! Thats for sure..

:-D

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I've got a 2-man one and it's brilliant out on the hill where there's no cover. Not designed to sleep or cook in, they're held up & in shape by your body. Quick to use and pack away, they get warm quick with 2 inside and keep the rain off your sandwiches! And yes, it does pack back into the pocket!

A great buy for hill-walkers!

Ted W

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
tedw said:
I've got a 2-man one and it's brilliant out on the hill where there's no cover. Not designed to sleep or cook in, they're held up & in shape by your body. Quick to use and pack away, they get warm quick with 2 inside and keep the rain off your sandwiches! And yes, it does pack back into the pocket!

Ted W
Ditto
They have a couple of small clear plastic windows too, just so you can feel smug watching everyone else get wet. :twisted:
You can use your rucsack as the "second person" if you are out on your own.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
tedw said:

Ted W
Cheers! One more question - what do you sit on inside it - just on the ground or does it sort of tuck under?

And does it not feel, well, a little odd sitting in this large bag when other walkers go by? :oops:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
More importantly ... could you blow away if the wind picked up!!!! :shock: I'd imagine that putting one person into a bothy designed for 8 or 12 might make this a credible issue in high wind.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
They have sewn in seats. You pull the bag over your heads, put the seat under your backside, sitdown, then all lean back to tension the bag.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
martin said:
They have sewn in seats. You pull the bag over your heads, put the seat under your backside, sitdown, then all lean back to tension the bag.
That sold it! Cheers, Martin!

M

mbrodw

A couple of interesting points worth noting.

1) They make a microclimate of their own in this area-in other words you can end up getting very hot and sweaty.

2) They are no use for a casualty who either can't sit up or is unconsious/has broken bones-if you are taking a group out it is is wise to carry a cheap orange emergency bag as well!

3)I have attached a long piece of cord to the opening so that i can attach it to something solid before opening-in windy conditions when you are trying to set it up-it inflated like a baloon and can be very powerful!

Just a few things i have found.

Mark

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
mbrodw said:

1) They make a microclimate of their own in this area-in other words you can end up getting very hot and sweaty.

2) They are no use for a casualty who either can't sit up or is unconsious/has broken bones-if you are taking a group out it is is wise to carry a cheap orange emergency bag as well!

3)I have attached a long piece of cord to the opening so that i can attach it to something solid before opening-in windy conditions when you are trying to set it up-it inflated like a baloon and can be very powerful!

Mark
That's good info thanks.

Definitely had second thoughts now...

Think we'll stick with our basha/bivvi rolls, which have the advantage that the kids are used to using them and we discussed it as a family and came to the conclusion that it was better to stay self-sufficient in terms of kit rather than relying on something communial.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
for what little bulk and weight there is with a group shelter, no reason why you shouldn't carry both.

cheers, and.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
sargey said:
for what little bulk and weight there is with a group shelter, no reason why you shouldn't carry both.

cheers, and.
Or I'll just shove it in Adi's pack (along with the booze! :p)

I must admit the girls really didn't like the idea of not having their own kit, in case the parent with the bothy fell of a cliff or something ... :yikes: (they're so independent they probably wouldn't even notice if I did! :eek:):)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Kathie said:
Or I'll just shove it in Adi's pack (along with the booze! :p)

Only if i get to use the airing cupboard!!!! :rolmao:

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I would take the bothey as a extra bit of kit, for use on the move. As already said it's only a very temporary shelter. I only ever use mine when there is no cover from the elements and I don't want to go done with exposure.

And for the weight and price definitely worth getting one.

Richie

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
mbrodw said:

Mark

I'm not sure what you mean about being no use for an unconcious casualty Mark - They're about the only thing that you can use if you cant move a casualty! You make them as comfortable as you can on the ground and then open the bothy bag over them and whoever is treating them. No-one needs to move and the casualty is covered instantly.

Have you tried to put an unconcious person into a poly survival bag? Not easy. How about someone with a suspected spinal injury? You'd do more harm than good. Try wrestling someone with a broken pelvis into one and see what names you get called!

Bothy bags (I still call them KISUs) are life savers on the hill, I've been using them for more years than I care to remember - but I would still recommend that if you're not carrying sleeping bags/bivvy bags, then each individual should carry a survival bag as well.

George

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE