Borneo Parang Passaround

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
09Jan20112.jpg

Just got back from the woods after testing these puppies....

09Jan20114.jpg

It might have been a tad unfortunate for the Chris Caine tool to arrive with me at the same time as these because it just couldn't compete. These native parangs have a natural balance and precision in use that I have not encountered before on any of the parangs or machetes that have gone throuygh my hands in the last five years.

09Jan20115.jpg

Sure, they may not look as well made as the CC tool, Martindale array of machetes or Fox Parang that we've all had recently. But performance wise, they are a world ahead.

These are the two that performed the best in the garden, so I decided to give them a proper going over.

09Jan20119.jpg

09Jan20118.jpg

The first thing that I always find issue with on any machete is the handle. Why are they all incapable of making a comfy one? Well, with these, they have got something right. They were so comfortable in use that I complete forgot about handle comfort until I got home and wrote this.

For light whispy vines and brambles, they slice them no problem. No batting to one side like many machetes do, but a complete lop without any exertion. Wait till you try them on the thick stuff though. Then they really shine. They slice through two inch thick trunks with one blow, and not a hard blow at that. To put it into perspective, the picture below shows a sapling that took the CC tool four or five blows to cut through (it was just over 2ins in diameter and bigger than it appears in the pic). These parangs did it with one. A bit scary the first time they did it as it was unexpected.

09Jan20117.jpg

For fine work and feathering, the blade has about three inches before it gets sharp, so choking up is no problem. They are a real pleasure to use and I found myself being more confident in their use as it is very easy to control the cuts and accuracy with these blades. Feathersticks are no problem due to the grind with no secondary bevel. Sharpening is very easy too and done the same way as you would an axe.

All in all cracking blades that do all the work for you. Far less effort needed when using these.

Thanks to Ged for sending these out. I had great fun.

Last edited:

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
JonathanD,
Did you have a swing with the little'un?...i'd be interessted to see how you feel it compares to the larger three brothers.
you can pm if you don't want to influence the Passaround.
Mojo

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
JonathanD,
Did you have a swing with the little'un?...i'd be interessted to see how you feel it compares to the larger three brothers.
you can pm if you don't want to influence the Passaround.
Mojo

Yes I did. My preference was for the similar shaped, slightly heavier one. The small one has to be my second favourite, it's not part of the review yet as the wooden sheath split in the post. It's currently having a custom sheath made for it. They all feel very similar in the hand, but obviously the weight of the bigger ones alters balance quite considerably. My choice would be to use the two shown in this thread for the static camp and small jungle walks, and the smaller one for trekking as it is much lighter, but lacks the wallop of it's bigger brothers. The heavier ones are certainly well suited to the UK.

Last edited:

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
The small one has to be my second favourite, it's not part of the review yet as the wooden sheath split in the post
So I am of the understanding you will include this later?....hope so.
I had another couple of sessions with the little one and getting more confident in the metal now. The little one is becoming a better chopper than i would have thought.

until then i'm still modding the wooden scabbard with a leather binding and brass fitting to stop the potential split

My preference was for the similar shaped, slightly heavier one.

well that was my number one from an asthetic stand point......kinda feel like i should have got it...but on the other hand reffer to the top of my post.....

May be there is a Ray Mears style niche for an 'inbeween model'....well it would suit me any how ;)

Mojo

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sargey - can you send me your address please?

I'm in love with the sheepsfoot blade one - be a wrench to pass it on :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had great fun with these tools - they are now en route to Sargey P48 insured.

Thanks very much for letting me play :D

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Now that you guys have tried them out could you tell me if you would carry one if you were engaged in extended travelling in European forests (assuming there were no legal or social ostracism issues)?

Would a parang or an axe (or something else) be the preferred tool for the traveller in the days when forest extended across Europe? Now?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Now that you guys have tried them out could you tell me if you would carry one if you were engaged in extended travelling in European forests (assuming there were no legal or social ostracism issues)?

Would a parang or an axe (or something else) be the preferred tool for the traveller in the days when forest extended across Europe? Now?

I'd carry one over an axe. For me it is a far more versatile tool.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm

Not in that sheath!

Make a great shelter building tool for cutting saplings and browse. Less useful than an axe where firewood is more important though. As with all tools - there are strengths and weaknesses

Red

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
stylish!

the parangs turned up safe and sound, cheers red.

first impressions? significantly burlier than i'd expected!

when you look at the length of the cutting edge on these, compared to the position of the handle, the end result is quite similar to the nata azumigata as found over at dick gmbh.

they'll get a good workout the weekend. i'll get some photos with some different tools.

cheers, and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
so who's next or where next?

well these parangs are pretty cool. took them round to visit some friends the weekend, bushcrafty whallahs all.

opinion was generally divided between the two, though slightly in favour of the squared off drop point. i preferred this one mostly due to the slightly slimmer handle.

it may have also been a slightly better performer due to red's sharpening job, as it was sharper than the heavier trailing point. the trailing point has a couple of flat spots on the edge.

so, overall, i have to buck the trend and say i'm not a massive fan. granted you do get relatively massive (for one hand) chopping power, the increased length of cutting edge does make limbing, shelter building and general campcraft easier than it is with an axe or hatchet, but, but, but.....

for some inexplicable reason i find them a little awkard to use, they feel much heavier than just over 800 grams. i suppose it's a case of what you're used to. i probably just need to play with them some more ;) :lmao:

tbh, i'm really surprised, i fully expected to love 'em.

i'll try to get some pics up later.

cheers, and.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Maybe you would have preferred the smaller one sargey.

Does anyone else want to have a play with these puppies before they go back to Ged? I believe he is in France at the moment, so there is room for another before he gets back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE