Born Survivor Bear Gyrlls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
I wasn't hoping for too much in tonights seris as I didn't really enjoy the last one.

But I thought the 2 episodes tonight were great, far less set up and what was set up was said to be so by Bear. I thought it was good when he couldn't get the fire going using friction and went back to the fire steel. Nice to see him chucking up as well!!

I know a lot on here will not have liked it, but I really did enjoy it over all. He certaintly pushes him self to the limits. Two thumbs up and looking forward to next weeks adventures.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
It was bloody brilliant - this series is going to be good, "this is one of the most dangerous snakes in the world - Im going to eat him"

but seriously it was a great show

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Much better, but it is quite funny that camel fat made him gag while the camel spider went down quite easily. Those buggers scare the crap out of me :eek:

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Yea, i liked when you heard him speaking from inside a hollow camel haha, i think the gagging bit was put on, on his website he said he is trying to lose this action man tough guy image, i mean all the stuff he has eaten and he is sick over something people on "im a celebrity get me out here" eat on their task things.

btw Discovery channel dont know what times, stumbled upon it by accident, re watched it today i did not see him use a fire bow in either sahara episode??

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I haven't seen the new series yet, but what deepcmonkey describes sounds promissing.
The opinions on this forum about Bear Grills are somewhat.. how shall I say, controversy :D As for mr. Mears, there is almost nothing but positive thoughts about him. My opinion about mr Grills is that I find him a complete idiot, BUT somehow when I zap around and I stumble upon his show, my finger jams and my eyes are fixed upon the telly. Why? probably a unsupressable feeling that I must watch anything on the telly that has to do with bushcraft, survival, nature, flora and fauna, etc. This is actually the first time I've given an opinion about Grills, as I always tried to avoid that because there already was so much discussion about him on this forum. The discription given by Deepcmonkey however, sounds promissing and does make me think of Les Strouds. Makes great programs about survival and doesn't show off his skills like mr. Mears does, but also shows when things go wrong. You see him burn himself and curse about the weather, just like any of us would. If Grills shows are more like Stroud's it might be an impovement. especially if he slows down on the steroids.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I never saw Teddy Bear on TV, thought I would see what all the fuss was about and saw a bit on YouTube......what a prat!
The BA under his kit when swimming down a river was plain to see, his attitude was bonkers and I was hurting so much from laughing I had to stop watching.
This man needs no-one to make p*ss-take vids of his progs - he does it himself!
If this is meant to encourage folk into the outdoors then some of what he does will act as retroactive contraception and reduce the foolish population somewhat!
What an ego trip these progs must be for the man.....but he got sussed for faking...just goes to show eh?

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Yep, if anyone 'shows off' its Bear not Mears! Bear runs, jumps & does dangerous stunts and silly things to impress. So far from Mears I have seen him present quality educational facts about a wide range of stuff, history, Flora & Fauna, Grub, Skills, Nature in general, all around the outdoors something I love to learn about. From what I've seen from Bear, he makes nature out to be the enemy, the environment against you and he will teach you how to merely survive by the skin of your teeth, getting out in bad condition and lucky to be alive. :( In my opinion the first episode I saw of Bear's program, you would be lucky to be alive if you follow his advice in the forest. :rolleyes:
> 'Climbing the tallest tree'
> 'Running through the forest'
> 'Abseiling a waterfall using vines' when you've got alternative options.

An idiot in my opinion.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
hes reminds me of that spartacus off that kids programme some stuff he does is totally uneccasry but it gets people involved etc

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
the truth is though.. nothing ever goes wrong in Mears' programms. And it's not intented that way, because the core educational part of his programms is to show textbook methods of how things are done to be able to live with nature.

When you put these things in reality. ( reads: into the hands of the average bushcrafter ) all things go wrong and we realise it's not as easy as Mears makes it look.

That's where Les Strouds comes in. He shows us how things happen as close to reality as possible. Things that happen when you are reasonable healthy and prepared and gotten yourself in a survival situation. The thing I love about this dude, is that he shows that it doesn't take 4 minutes to light a fire, but sometimes 90 minutes, and in the process of making fire, you get burned if you don't watch it! Les, :You_Rock_

Edit: and yes, I agree: Bear Grills is just a plain idiot. He is like when you put a small dog on steroids and tie a sausage to his tail, so he goes round and round in circles of Ignorence.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Maybe its just me, but I felt bears show the other night was more informative rather then his usual action man style as last series. I do think that Mr Mears shows an almost clinical environment and survival tuition where as bear seems to be more hands on.

Might upset a lot but hey, my opinion..

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Just a point with regards to these sort of programmes . One hours tv viewing can take an average of 3 weeks to film. So its all bluff who ever they are!!! unless its done by hand camera and then you can tell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE