Boot Maintenance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Just to point out, most manufacturers own brand proofing/treatment is usualy Nikwax or Grangers products repackaged and relabeled. Lowa use their own product, IIRC Hydrobloc and Scarpas HS12 are their own products too not grangers or Nikwax.
But I really strongly advise against Kiwi, there are far better products specificaly for use on outdoor breathable footwear, kiwi isn't one of them.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
My Lowa eyelets are chrome plated something coppery looking, and they are well worn through so that’s why they rusted.

I used new direct from Nikwax (won it) TX-direct on the coat, and Aqueous on the boots. Neither worked and both have shortened long term performance. I tried a stupidly expensive bee’s wax a while ago and that worked well, so maybe I’ll move over to that if kiwi really is bad for them? Any data on that?

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Raz said:
My Lowa eyelets are chrome plated something coppery looking, and they are well worn through so that’s why they rusted.

I used new direct from Nikwax (won it) TX-direct on the coat, and Aqueous on the boots. Neither worked and both have shortened long term performance. I tried a stupidly expensive bee’s wax a while ago and that worked well, so maybe I’ll move over to that if kiwi really is bad for them? Any data on that?

That is very suprising about the Nikwax, Ive never heard of it causing any problems like that. I checked further into the Kiwi thing, no manufacturer we stock (Meindl, Berghaus, Brasher, Merrel, Zamberlan, Scarpa etc.) would not recomend using Kiwi products quite the opposite.
Try using Lowas own active cream, its available from Penrith survival. Failing that try Grangers leather conditioner.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
I think you have to be a bit careful of what company recommends what and what shop dose no disrespect but if they haven't got a deal with them they wont recommend them same as if they make there own or a sister company dose who you might not be aware is part of there group they will say its the best kiwi has been around for years if it wasn't good for leather it would not be

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
mal said:
I think you have to be a bit careful of what company recommends what and what shop dose no disrespect but if they haven't got a deal with them they wont recommend them same as if they make there own or a sister company dose who you might not be aware is part of there group they will say its the best kiwi has been around for years if it wasn't good for leather it would not be

These are not just manufacturers recomendations but us as staff too with a good deal of collective experience in such things gained both from each other and customer feedback. We are not sales staff so it makes no difference to us where the products are purchased, we don't recieve commision. We just give good advice based on our findings and experience of a vast aray of products. Kiwi is fine for regular fashion shoes, but for outdoors breathable footwear there really are better products available. And after spending £150 on a pair of boots it seems a great shame to give them anything less than what they deserve.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
point taken bushblade how long dose a tube of lowas stuff last how should i apply it and should i use anything on top of that as well to keep them black. and is danners stuff any good for my lowas

MAl

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
mal said:
point taken bushblade how long dose a tube of lowas stuff last how should i apply it and should i use anything on top of that as well to keep them black. and is danners stuff any good for my lowas

MAl

You get about the same as you do in a bottle of aqueus wax, but its more like a cream, so goes a bit further. It has a sponge aplicator so is easy to apply. I don't use anything to restore colour, the cream is clear and doesn't restore colour, but I don't find this necesary and the boots look black again after an application anyway. You could use black aqueus wax to restore colour if you decide it needs it. The 2 products should't affect each other, allthough saying that I'd only use one at a time.
I think danner boot dressing is a very good product, not sure it would be a good idea on lowas though as it tends to soften the leather a little.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE