Boot cleaning

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
I have pair of very good walking boots very sound, but been sitting awhile with lots of dried on mud etc.

Any suggestions on best way to clean them, no access to outside stuck in a flat waaah, anyway Gore Tex lined not sure what body is made of. (NOT Leather)

Thanks

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
with my boots i preiodicly wipe the mud off and treat with a spray on boot waterproofer.. other than that i generaly just let the pud dry and knock it off.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
happy camper said:
hello
nikwax do a cleaner for outdoor shoes and a treatment wax to protect and maintain breathability. you can get a free bottle from them if you go to the website and enter the competition, you're garuanteed to win the cleaner and theres a top prize for the very lucky...
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/outdoorpromo/default.asp?orig=hmpage
cheers :)

And don't forget, that you return every 3 months and claim something to clean / proof your other gear too !!!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I just wash mine under the tap with lukewarm water and an old fingernail brush. I put some waterproofing stuff on the nubuck bits (okay the waterproofing doesn't really work but it make the nubuck look nicer) and leave them to dry.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've got an old ammo box that I used for my boot kit when I was in Air Cadets. *shudder*

Anyway, after a good jaunt in the bush, I have a boot care regimen. :D

I go home and take the laces and insoles out. I let the insoles dry for a good day or two. If the inside of my boots are dirty, boiling water with vinegar gets rid of the nastyness and destroys salt stains.

I take cold water and a boot brush to outside of them, removing all traces of dirt, oil, etc etc.... Then I have an old toothbrush to clean the welts and the treads.

I let the boots dry. Then, I either treat them with a waterproofing, I use a bees-wax derivative, I've found that little critters like to munch on dubbin. Or, I apply just plain old fashioned kiwi.

(Mind you, this is for just that: leather boots. I'll never purchase gore-tex lined footwear)

Adam

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Jees, I just leave 'em until the mud has dried then scrape the worst bits off, then leave them til the next jaunt, and add more mud. Sometimes if I'm REALLY bored I just wash them under a tap then when dry the next day, maybe polish them. Oh, and my Danners are now about 12 years old, and still almost as good as new. Don't molly cuddle them-USE THEM!!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If your boots are really caked in mud and you are stuck indoors with nowhere you can make a mess cleaning them off you could put each boot into a bin liner before banging them together to get the dried mud off. Thats about as much loving care as my Le Chameau boots have ever had and they are still as warm and waterproof as the day I bought them, only they are more comfortable now that they are well worn in.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
I tend to wear my Karrimor KSB's when out and about in the woods.

The nearest thing they come to being cleaned is walking thru any available puddles on the way to the car and maybe wiping them on a soggy piece of grass ;)

I've had them around 12/13 years, still waterproof and just like slippers. :p

That reminds me, must get them out of the rear footwell of my car :D

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
If you dont clean them right after wearing them, do at least this:
-completely loosen or remove the laces
-remove the insoles
-stuff them with newspaper
-let them try.
Because any material on a shoe will shrink a little bit or more when wet and under tension (from still tight laces at the toebox) your boots will eventually curl at the tip, get smaller and develop big folds. All which will change the shape over the time.
About half the used boots I get to see in the shop, when they come for a re-sole, are wrecked because of negliance.
Thats fine by me, I make a living from selling new ones. :lmao:

K

kanefer

a quick tip that I've found useful for leather boots is to completely wash them clean in water and allow to dry. Then get your kiwi tin open and using a bic lighter set fire to the tin of polish. When the top layer of polish has turned to a liquid (under the smokey flame) use the lid to put it out. Then quickly grab a cloth dip it into the liquid polish (being careful not to dip your finger in otherwise you may scald it) and then apply to the boots thickly.

You will be suprised how much liquid polish your boots will absorb but try to leave about half a millimetre of polish over the boot. Then leave the boots overnight for the polish to dry. The next day brush the excess polish off and you should get a lovely shine.

this method is a bit messy and you are advised to put a lot of newspaper down the first time you do it!

Stu

ps I take no responsibility for any fires you start or any burns you receive! do this at your own risk

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
LOL!!

Kanefer, I used to do that on my drill boots.

(Except that I used a blow torch!) My supply officer never quite understood why in the beginning I was constantly turning in boots that had been...burnt. :D

Needless to say, I soon got the hang of it. It works!!!!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE