Boone Anniversary Trip---pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Wednesday saw myself and Lady of Tanith (Lisa) combine our anniversary celebration with our interpretation of the Boone Challenge
first up we left Jake with his grandparents and drove to the campsite, with a toddler with very little understanding of the idea of personal safety we thought it wiser to have transport reasonably near,
The woods as we approached

Lisa walking into the woods carrying her pack.

we left the car in my godfathers barn and walked down the road back to the woods having stashed the kit there already, not quite carrying the equipment but it was stupid hot and i'll confess i think we would of melted had we done so
Once back in the woods we set up the tarp as demonstrated here by Lisa

We soon realised that the original campsite would not provide enough living space with the tarp up, so thanks to the wonder of quick release knots we scarpered to the other spot within the woods and i quickly got the tarp back up

once we had relocated it was time to gather some firewood

time to get thefire lit, we did this using sulphur matches, however it went up so quick we missed the shot, not wanting to waste the initial flare up we got the kettle on

And a much needed brew was had, in the back ground you can see lisa's bed for the night a hooped bivi bag

and time for dinner, chef lisa prepared the dinner

first nights meal was smoked sausage and chorizo in mushroom sauce with tagalitelle

After dinner we spent some time relaxing and gazing at the fire before retiring to bed
waking around nine am i found lisa had already lit the fire using the coals from the night before,
after a brew and exchanging anniversary presents it was time to sort some more fire wood out

i then fashioned a handle for the frying pan of lisa's swedish army pots

and got breakfast going-tea and sausage tortilla wraps

Once we had broken our fast we rearranged the fire into a star lay

we then harvested some green wood for the making a camp gadget

two candle holders one by lisa and one by myself

Lisa also made a marshmallow stick and got very creative with it adding decoration

i then smoked/scorched the marshmallow stick

lisa removed the bark to have a nice contrast, first time we have tried this out but its a good start i feel

after that there was no stopping lisa's creativity and she decoarated her candle stick too

Course the marshmallow stick then needed testing.....

i was then contacted by my dad to tell me a parcel i had been waiting for had arrived and he kindly offered to bring it up,
a nice vintage bed roll :)

So lisa transferred her stuff out of the bivi and into the Czech bedroll i had used the night before

Some general shots of camp life now

Hard work this camping Malarky...

Then twas time for some more grub
a tradition for Clan of Tanith is bannock and fried chorizo

We then enjoyed the novelty and had a snooze which was a real treat as anyone with a toddler will agree
after the snooze it was evening meal time, another Clan of tanith tradition is bubble up stew
all the ingredients ready to be cooked

and the end result

after dinner the evening was spent watching the bushcraft TV and drinking tea

gently illuminated by the fire and the candles

we turned in and slept well until i was woken at 06:30 by the morning chorus (mutter mutter mutter)
dozing off again we woke around 0930, packed up the kit, made sure the fire was extinguished and then ambled up the road to collect the car

assessment time now-
1 i should of agreed that lisa could take hammock, whilst she was quite happy on the ground she prefers the hammock and would of been happier in it
2 an extra blanket would of been appreciated in the vintage bed roll it was a little cooler than the czech bedroll i used the first night
3 the star fire is a very very useful fire lay and for longer camps i believe it will be the lay of choice.
4 having two pans made meals a lot easier to prepare than only one, my vintage style kit will now always include two pans
5 everything bar the FAK and ouch pouch was used some more frequently than other pieces but it was all used.

thank you all for taking the time to read this post and in a little way sharing in our anniversary celebration.
Sam and Lisa

Hastur

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2012
North West, England
Brilliant post mate (as always).

My parents would 'cook' the same stew when camping in our Commer Camping Van.

I have my doubts about the star fire lay but will try it on my week long scout camp this month.

Glad you had a great time :).

Dan.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Lovely Family Tanith, doing what they do best, which is being wonderful :) You guys are soooo lucky to be able to enjoy this together, thank you for kinda inviting us along with your pictures.... you have a top lass, Sam, and I know you know it too :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Brilliant stuff Sam and congratulations for the anniversary!

The new bed roll looks great, is it British surplus? Love the look of your camp, Lisa's decorations are a nice touch :). Did you find using traditional equipment more gratifying?

Looks like a real chillout time for both of you Sam :cool:

Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Very welcome Steve.
Thank you for the helping hand you lent Lisa btw

Congratulations to you both again

Great pics, great trip and thanks for taking the time to take the pics and posting.

:You_Rock_
Glad you enjoyed it mate.
Next time you're down you up for a bit of boone style camping?

Fantastic post mate , bushcraft camping at its best .

love the bed roll what a piece of history ,

Twodogs
Thanks Cliff
The bed roll is great and as you say a nice piece of history. I'll be looking up the history of it soon

Brilliant post mate (as always).

My parents would 'cook' the same stew when camping in our Commer Camping Van.

I have my doubts about the star fire lay but will try it on my week long scout camp this month.

Glad you had a great time :).

Dan.
Dan I wasnt certain about the fire lay either but those three logs burnt the entire day with only small pieces added to boil the billy for a brew.
Bubble up stew is a clan of tanith favourite and was one the first meals I ever cooked Lisa when she came camping with me :)

Brilliant stuff Sam and congratulations for the anniversary!

The new bed roll looks great, is it British surplus? Love the look of your camp, Lisa's decorations are a nice touch :). Did you find using traditional equipment more gratifying?
Thanks muchly.
I'm pretty certain the bed roll is British surplus as I said I'll research it soon.
Traditional stuff whilst heavier definitely adds something but its hard to put my finger on it

Bannock and chorizo... mmmmmmm. :)
Oh yes nom nom nom nom

Lovely Family Tanith, doing what they do best, which is being wonderful :) You guys are soooo lucky to be able to enjoy this together, thank you for kinda inviting us along with your pictures.... you have a top lass, Sam, and I know you know it too :)
Oh I does Sal. Well aware I'm batting over my average

Awesome Sam!!!

Quality mate!!
Cheers buddy

Brilliant report and pics, thanks
very welcome :)

what a lovely way to spend your anniversary congrats.
Thanks Karl lucky Lisa enjoys it as much as I do :)

It looks as though a very nice anniversary was had by Lady of Tanith and you. Thanks for sharing, Sam!
Thank you Gordon I'm glad you enjoyed it

well done and congrats to the both of you
awesome lookin camp and the missus appears to be a natural in the bush
thanks for sharing...woods
Woods the Mrs was brought up by a Sgt in the royal marines and has been doing this style of camping longer than I have. She is pretty dab hand at it and I'm lucky she isnt phased by some of my daft ideas like camping for anniversary where a lot ofnladies would want hotels and such like

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing.

And congratulations on you anniversary.
thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it

Nice one, thanks for sharing
welcome mate (I've not forgotten I said id measure the mors pot just been busy)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE