books on uk plants (please help)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Food for free by Richard Mabey will get you well on your way but a search and read through the lovely grub forum should get you even more excited about wild food

James

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
'A cook on the wildside' - Huge furry whittling tool (Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall) available from the River cottage website and 'Wildfood' by Roger Philips (Amazon) are good books. I've recently added both to my collection and am very pleased with them. The readers digest series 'Wildflowers' is also good and gives some interesting facts on folklore, but not a lot about edibility.

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
Hi guys,

I have a couple of books on uk wild edible greens available. See: countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj

There are also some on-line ideas about how to do things with edible wild plants, and always happy to provide a few thoughts on whatever you might have in front of you to cook up.

JJ

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
get yourself some books on plant ID (Collins, Roger Phillips, etc) then look at the publications by the Wild Food School, this will give you ways to actually use the plants you find.
The Collins Gem Food for Free is very usefull, its size means its in your pocket when you need it. Wild food School do a very good distance learning package, that comes with CD Roms for each season or if you can get down to Cornwall do a couple of courses with them.
Hope this helps.
Neil

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i am going to buy food for free it seems a very good book and loads of people have reccomended it to me

W

WERDNA

i thought the food for free book (the one with the picture of a wood on the front)
had some poor quality photographs of the edable plants not much detail and not very close up, if you eat the wrong plant i hear it can be very serious,

is there a better version, i have only seen this one in reall life

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
WERDNA said:
i thought the food for free book (the one with the picture of a wood on the front)
had some poor quality photographs of the edable plants not much detail and not very close up, if you eat the wrong plant i hear it can be very serious,

is there a better version, i have only seen this one in reall life

Look for the 1970's prints. They have better detail.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE