Books on sheaths?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Can anyone point me towards texts about Roman and Anglo saxon / Viking sheaths, ideally ones with lots of illustrations of excavated examples. Yup I need to make some to go with some replicas I'm having made.

Not had much joy on the net so pointers to real books I can get on interlibrary loan would be be grand.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks both, that link is absolutely wonderful, I so wish I'd read that before making my own turn shoes, in fact I'd like to score some more sole leather and have another go now.

No doubt this is old hat to you but I found this online
http://www.knifehelp.net/media/docs...edieval Finds from Excavations in London .pdf
which will save me having to interlibrary loan a copy.

One thing I've learned already is I'm not going to get away with leaving them undecorated. That's a whole new bal game to me. I've plenty of different shaped creasing irons I picked up but I will have to look into what else I need to source and learn to use.

Will post up what I find, need to have a good look at whats available from Denmark and Norway, Sweden for that mater and northern Germany. Please let some of it be in English!

ATB

Tom

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i forgot about the London one. That's early morning brain for you! :rolleyes:

I don't think they were always decorated. It just happens that the majority of the finds are. Now it could be that only the decorated ones went wrong and were abandoned, or the decorated ones were that much more expensive that it made sense to repair or rework them for a new knife ;)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm having a good read of the York dig reports and I've already decided to change the wood I was going to use for the longsax scabbard from poplar to willow (I trust these folk more than the one that said poplar ).

Great stuff, thanks!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE