Books on primative skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapling

Sep 27, 2007
Glasgow
Has anyone read any of the fallowing books?

Practicing Primitive: A Handbook of Aboriginal Skills by Steven M. Watts

Primitive Technology: A Book of Earth Skills by David Wescott

Primitive Living, Self-Sufficiency, and Survival Skills: A Field Guide to Primitive Living Skills by Thomas J. Elpel

The Earth Knack: Stone Age Skills for the 21st Century by Bart Blankenship

Im considering buying some of them and just wondered if anyone had any info or opinions on them. If anyone has any other suggestions on good primative technology books they are welcome too!

Cheers

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I seriously recommend getting both of the society of primitive technology's books - Earth Skills and Ancestral Skills (both Wescott)
They provide more inspiration, tutorials and instruction than any of the other books.
I've got them all (I like books) - practicing primitive has lots of material duplicated in the SPT books, Elpel's book goes of into a lot of political soap box stuff and the Blankeship book is an ok introductory primer but only has line drawings and is not as detailed.

ganstey

Settler
I have The Earth Knack, and was a bit disappointed as it really is a book of stone-age skills, and I'm not sure where the 21st century bit comes in. Also, it is an American book, and so some of the materials may be hard to find over here.

Having said that, the last time I read it was about 3 years ago, before I discovered the wonderful world of BCUK and the modern uses you can put ancient skills to.

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE