Book Review: The Book of The Bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Book Review:

The Book of The Bivvy by Ronald Turnbull.
Published by Cicerone Press
Price: £9.99

Just finished reading this book which is now in it's second edition and well recommend it. There is more to read in there than the thickness of the book would suggest (139 pages).

It contains much practical information, anecdotes and humour. I was starting to get embarrassed chuckling on the bus to work while reading it.

A great book for anyone interested in spending nights out in a bivvy bag, or needing reasons not to. The readers who have spend time in bivvy bags will relate to the anecdotes in the book.

The author covers the history of the bivvy back from Diogenes (who slept in a timber barrel), via the writer Robert Louis Stephenson to the contributions from Mr Gore and his amazing fabric.

Also covered are, the importance of a good view from the bivvy, cooking vs eating in the pub and rather that a list of what to take, the author offers a list of what to leave behind.

Get this one on your christmas list.

Stu

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Already on my list! Glad you liked it. There's a podcast by this bloke on backpackinglight, that's how i heard about this book

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I liked the book but I think it could have done with some more practical advice. He does not cover where you keep your clothes or boots or even if you take them off. there is nothing about using a small tarp to shelter your face.

It does cover a lot of his walks and these are enjoyable but I had hoped to get more practical tips in bivvy bag use from someone who has clearly used on a lot.

So a good read and recommended but could do better, from me.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I already ordered it. If I cant go out and sleep outdoors, at least I can read about it.
The situation here really sucks.
The sun is shining outside, its a cold and clear day and I am stuck here in rehab, surrounded by lots of other old farts, all one crutch-lenght away from mass-grave.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I like the fact that he tells both sides of the story. Some bivvy experiences can be amazing while others can be miserable, however both are memorable.

It reminds me of Tom Elpel's philosopy of The Art of Nothing. One aspect of which is the art of being comfortable, even when you're not. :)

Time to dig the bivvy bag out again.

oetzi. Hope you get well soon mate.

Stu

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I liked the book but I think it could have done with some more practical advice. He does not cover where you keep your clothes or boots or even if you take them off. there is nothing about using a small tarp to shelter your face.

It does cover a lot of his walks and these are enjoyable but I had hoped to get more practical tips in bivvy bag use from someone who has clearly used on a lot.

So a good read and recommended but could do better, from me.

I agree on this front. He could say more about the practicality of using it rather than the trips he's made. He's very honest about it though

Since reading it I've bivved the last 3 times I've been out - twice in a forest and once 600m in the Brecon Beacons, each time I got on with it no problem, though I always used a tarp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE