Book: How to survive the end of the world as we know it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
I am reading the book at the moment having heard of Rawles whilst trawling the net for US-based 'Bushcraft' sites as well as his interview on the 'Coast to Coast am' radio show. The guy seems quite balanced to me but anybody who speaks with an American accent and talking 'survival' is labeled a tin foil hat wearing nut-job. That said, after the floods in New Orleans and the 2004 Tsunami, people from First World nations should be mindful unexpected events that could happen and even some basic guidelines could keep the wolf from the door.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Got no problems with either, it's the fundamentalist bit I cant get along with.

This site and even the blades site is full of fundamentalists but aimed at camping or knives lol. FS is a grand site really, and the guy who runs it (John ?) is very helpful and was IIRC posting on the Ludlow groups site, certainly was when I was active over there. Gun ownership is deeply felt as a 'right' by many Americans, they grew up with them so I'm not sure if they are fundamentalists or just active users/hobbyists. There is a rifle club by my, taking on new members in the New Year:dancer: It would be cheaper if I was back working full time :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
John (Frugal Squirrel) is indeed a fantastic man, kind and very generous. We don't agree on religion and I suspect our comparative moralities and politics differ too. I'm sure thats true of many other people I respect too.

I have learned a great deal about basic homesteading skills from John, he gives willingly of his knowledge and indeed has been kind enough to send me things that are unobtainable in this country. I recall when my wifes friend was very sick with cancer, she could eat very little. We sent her the last of a jug of maple syrup that John had made from his sugar maple trees. She found she could keep it down as it was pure (no preservatives etc.) and was very grateful. I dropped John a note to let him know how his "simpler living" had helped out a friend and express our thanks. He fed exed over a gallon of the amber nectar and wouldn't hear of payment even for the postage. The lady concerned is recovered now and has a beautiful daughter.

I think we could use a lot more people like that in this world.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No mate :)

JWR is a prolific blogger and sometimes author on "End of the World" / survival stuff. I've not read the book in question although a friend gave me a copy of his earlier work (Patriots). Not my cup of tea as a fiction author to be honest.

I love apocaplyptic fiction if I'm honest - I blame John Wyndham for his excellent stuff (Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes) through Messrs Niven and Pournelle (Lucifers Hammer) an onwards.

There is some startling good stuff out there for a good old escapist romp to some "wow, thats a bit too close to reality" stuff.

For you Stovie, I would suggest "Dies the Fire" by SM Stirling - a slightly odd premise for a book, but great pyschology and a fascinating concept - including the longbow and the clan system making a comeback - in the USA :).

For one that is more...real, UK based, well written and plain old scary, try "Last Light" by Alex Scarrow.

Happy to lend you either mate

Red

i have both this book and his fiction based patriots i enjoyed both of them the one named in the topic somewhat more than the fiction novel but both contained useful ideas/suggestions etc

off topic completely here-
i'd love a list of apocalyptic fiction as i am a fan of the genre from Stephen King's The Stand '48 by James Herbert, Day of the Triffids, Survivors which both original tv and remake were inspired from.
I remember several from when i was at school Children of the Dust, Brother in the Land and one called Book upon the shore that i requested from the local library so many times it was practically mine. sadly these three i cannot remember the authors as school was a while ago and i havent got the best recollection of those times other than the books titles

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres a few from the LSG list

The LSG Guide to Apocalyptic Fiction

These books are the ones that, the readers among us, think are the best of the bunch. No age limit was set so some of the books are old, some new, and a couple are even forthcoming (albeit too slowly – you know who you are!).

Firstly there is a top 5, drawn from all of our preferences. The rest are simply listed in alphabetical order. The only two criteria applied for inclusion were that all are apocalyptic and that all have both feet planted firmly on the ground i.e. no zombies or devilish hocus pocus and that the scenarios are loosely based around “it could happen”.

There are however two exceptions: Stephen King’s The Stand which alas does involve devilish hocus pocus but also a genuinely apocalyptic event, and John Wyndham’s The Kraken Wakes which features not only an alien invader but also global flooding.

Three of the top five had the same number of votes so their ultimate positions were dictated by how high they were in each member’s list.

The Top Five

1. The Day of The Triffids by John Wyndham.
Seminal story of an Earth dominated by monstrous stinging plants from a pioneer of the genre

2. Lucifer’s Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerrry Pournelle.
Apocalyptic fiction from the two men who allegedly wrote Ronald Reagan’s famous Star Wars weapons speech. A comet strikes the earth triggering tidal waves and earthquakes.

3. The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham.
More classic Wyndham – alien invaders surface from beneath the sea and begin thawing our polar caps.

4. The Death of Grass by John Christopher.
Excellent tale recounting changes on Earth when the balances of nature and consequently society are upset.

5. The Night of The Triffids by Simon Clark.
Authorised sequel taking up the story 25 years after the original through the eyes of Bill Masen’s son David.

Others
A meeting at Corvallis by SM Stirling
The third part of the Dies the fire Trilogy

After the Fire 1,
After the Fire 2,
After the Fire Chronicles, all by John Lockley

A trilogy following the lives of a group who survive a Legionnaire’s type outbreak who form a community.

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
A family’s struggle for survival following a nuclear war.

Albion by Brenda Vale
A young man’s travels through a post industrial depopulated barter economy Britain of the future.

All Fool’s Day by Edmund Cooper
The story of life after some unusual sunspot activity causing a mental stability affecting disorder called “The Radiant Suicide”.

Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Armageddon is unleashed through man’s obsession with furthering science.

Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence
A young girl and her family survive a nuclear war in Europe.

Clay’s Ark by Octavia E Butler
A disease of extra-terrestrial origin forces people to isolate themselves in a bid to make a new life.

Crystal World by JG Ballard
The leaking of time starts to crystallise our world. Rumours abound that Ballard wrote this under the influence of mind-bending drugs.

Dawn by S Fowler Wright
The follow up to Deluge.

Deluge by Richard Doyle
Wind and rain push a thirty foot wave up the Thames and through London in the seventies.

Deluge by S Fowler Wright
A genre first and widely cited as inspiration for Wyndham’s Kraken – Britain under flood in the thirties.

Dies the Fire by SM Stirling
First of a trilogy chronicling the reversion to a medieval way of life following an electrical storm that renders all guns and electrical goods useless.

The Drought by JG Ballard
A mirror to The Drowned World – what happens when the rain stops.

The Drowned World by JG Ballard
An exploratory expedition travels to a flooded London after solar flares cause flooding and scorching temperatures.

Empty World by John Christopher
A young boy fights fear and loneliness after an accident kills his parents and a plague sweeps the world.

Earth Abides by George R Stewart
An intellectual loner forms a community following a plague that wipes out most of mankind.

Famine by Graham Masterton
Grain and fruit crops fail throughout the States and Botulism spreads.

Fast the Shadows Fall by David E Crossley
Even less is known of this third unwritten(?) entry in the There Falls no Shadow trilogy.

Genesis of a Hero by John Eyres
Independent sequel to Terry Nation’s Survivors, tenuously connected by being about Abby Grant’s son Peter’s enlistment and estrangement from Wormley’s organisation.

Greybeard by Brian Aldiss
The last of the old people eke out an existence following mankind’s sterility from nuclear testing.

I Spied a Pale Horse by Mark Timlin
One man’s fight for survival with his friend and his dog following a modern day Black Death.

Lights Out by ? HalfFast
E-book on Frugalsquirrel.com about survivors of a nuclear attack.

Malevil by Robert Merle
A group of friends become stranded in a chateau following a nuclear explosion causing a return to a more primitive way of life.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute
Life in Australia as the fallout from a nuclear war drifts nearer.

The Only Lovers Left Alive by David Wallis
A plague leaves only the under eighteens to rule world.

Patriots by James Wesley Rawles
US story of a group of Christian survivalists dealing with a stock market crash, an economic collapse and a second civil war.

Pendulum by John Christopher
Feudal gangs of teenagers take over the land following an economic depression that strips civilisation of it’s power.

Plague by Graham Masterton
A mutated bacilli washes up on the Florida shoreline killing millions as it spreads.

The Protector’s War by SM Stirling
The second part of the Dies the Fire Trilogy.

The Purple Cloud by MP Shiel
Very early book in the genre telling the story of the last man left alive following the arrival of a mysterious purple cloud.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Dark, depressing and downright miserable, this book comes highly recommended. About a man and his son travelling across a post-apocalyptic America after a major event.

The Rift by Walter J Williams
The story of the chaos that follows a massive earthquake.

Slow the Shadow Creeps by David E Crossley
(Too) Little is known of this un-released second book of the trilogy that follows on from There Falls no Shadow.

The Stand by Stephen King
THE Stephen King book (for me) that follows the trials and tribulations of a group of plague survivors(with some devilish hocus pocus).

Survivors by Terry Nation
First class novel that follows largely the same path as the highly original TV series with the odd differing twist.

There Falls No Shadow by David E Crossley
Exciting read following the coming together of a group of super-flu survivors.

Thirst by Guy N Smith
Ecological disaster following the crash of a tanker of weed killer into a Welsh reservoir.

When Worlds Collide by Philip Wylie
Cult book telling of a runaway planet hurtling towards earth and the carnage it causes.

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Willhelm
Chilling solution to the furthering of the human race post apocalypse.

The Wind from Nowhere by JG Ballard
Mankind turns on itself in a bid to survive following a global super-hurricane.

World in Winter by John Christopher
The story of a Nigerian led exploration to Britain after a new ice age causes Britons to flee to Africa for a warmer life.

Wrinkle in the Skin by John Christopher
A Guernsey man searches for his daughter on the mainland following an earthquake that causes the sea to recede.

Not a complete list by any means

Red

Last edited:

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
This book is a great end of the world and very close to the bone. Takes the peak oil concept and tunrs it into a scary beleivable story.

Alex Scarrow - Last Light

Synposis

It seems to be a very normal Monday morning. But in the space of only a few days, the world's oil supplies have been severed and at a horrifying pace things begin to unravel everywhere. And this is no natural disaster: someone is behind this. Jenny is stuck in Manchester, fighting desperately against the rising chaos to get back to London, where her children are marooned as events begin to spiral out of control; riots, raging fires, looting, rape and murder. In the space of a week, London is transformed into a lawless and anarchic vision of Hell. Jenny's estranged husband, oil engineer Andy Sutherland, is stranded in Iraq with a company of British soldiers, desperate to find a way home to his family, trapped as transport links and the very infrastructure of daily life begins to collapse around him. And against all this, a mysterious man is tracking Andy's family. He'll silence anyone who might be able to reveal the identities of those behind this global disaster. It seems that the same people who now have a stranglehold on the future of civilisation have flexed their muscles before, at other significant tipping points in history, and they are prepared to do anything to keep their secret - and their power - safe.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Heres a few from the LSG list..."

Two recent works in a similar vein...

World Made by Hand

Life in a small American town where people are trying to keep things together after the oil crash.

The Windup Girl

A century hence, much of the worlds crops are GM ones, non GM crops have been practically wiped out by man made blights and disease. The Agribusiness giants suspect the existence of a hidden seed bank in the kingdom of Thailand, something they decide they must either control or destroy.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE