Book binding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I wonder who else does that?

I have been doing it for over 10 years. Just made a book vice and book plough to help me trim thicker books.

20130104_221856.jpg

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Damn, I'm in the process of doing a blog on a book covering project I'm working on. But yours far eclipse it. Would love to see a tutorial as I quite fancy making my own book rather than just a cover for one.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
nice looking plough :) Different to the others I've seen. I'm not a bookbinder myself, but courtesy of Sandsnakes (who is the Queens' head bookbinder!) I do make tools for the craft :) I've made a few blades for various ploughs over the last couple of years, what style have you gone for?

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Thank you everyone. A tutorial would be a bit difficult since I wouldn't be making another one any time soon. I used a milling machine to square the blocks of wood and mill the grooves. Then just connect with rods. They are very simple to make.

The blade is just a normal craft blade that you can snap off.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Tai Chi instructor was a bookbinder as well - her work was beautiful ... but her hardwear was not as good looking as your examples!

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
Your press and vice look good enough to be ornaments. I too am also in favour of you doing a tutorial :) would love to have made something to jot down my ideas over the coming summer.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Nice kit Singteck, French press and plough. If you are after kit equipment try Homewoodbound and Hewit & Son for leather, glue and brushes. Remember that binding leather is tanned in a very different way and is radically different to upholstery leather and hides. It is tanned so it can be wet stretched and drummed and turned down.

Oh yes, look up SOB (Society of Bookbinders) they do lots of talks meetings and small training courses.

Have fun!

Sandsnakes

Last edited:

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Here is one i made a couple of years ago. Blue Chieftan Goat with Rose calf onlays, 22crt gold finishing, silk endpapers and hand sewn endbands, sitting in its own drop back box in matching blue, it is about A3 size.

francis3.jpg

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Seeing that beautiful work it strikes me that there would be a market for tablet cases made to look like a book, with bespoke covers. Did you do the embossed lettering, Sandsnakes?

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
Seeing that beautiful work it strikes me that there would be a market for tablet cases made to look like a book, with bespoke covers. Did you do the embossed lettering, Sandsnakes?

You definitely have a point there...
Awesome work... Definitely would love to see a tutorial..

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE