Boker plus voxknives gnome

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i think it would make a good back up knife or one for food prep etc. perhaps supplementing a larger blade or perhaps just on its own.
i might be about to type heresy but i find i don't use my knives all that much so for a lighter set up this might work really well,
i would also like to see pics of the sheaths please anyone who has one

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
i have the micarta

as it came out of the box:

2011-04-08220800.jpg

as I have it now:

2011-10-17004824.jpg

its a funny little thing... the spine of the blade is very thick, and the blade is hollow ground- it spits wood up to about 5cm in dia without much effort. the curve of the blade and handle gives it fingertip control for delicate cutting (index finger along the spine of the blade) the only thing that i feem lets it down is the grip, i NEEDS a lanyard on it.

it's a nice little knife, and unusual looking- I too am a sucker for small knives :) I have a few, though if I'm honest the one that gets most use is my ESEE Izula, it's big enough to get jobs done, but small enough to be given back to me after a copper had taken the top of his thumb off with it.

if you guys want I'll dig them all out for some snaps tomorrow side by side?

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
I have an Izula, and I'm tempted to say that if you had a good axe and a saw, the Izula is the only fixed blade you'd need. It's small, but built really, really well AND can take a beating. Add the micarta handles and you're top notch. The only reason it doesn't get as much use from me is because my sharpening skills are sadly deficient in anything other than Scandi. I'm working on it, though.

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
IMG_0384.jpg

Top left.

To go around the horn... Top Left: Izula with micarta. Top Right: Ontario Ranger Little Bird (fun little one!). Beneath Top Right: CRKT Ritter Mk5 (also fun). Right: Spyderco Ambitious (wasn't a fan). Middle Right: SOG multi-tool (didn't like it, sold it). Middle Left: ESEE-4 (didn't like it... Handle too thin). Left: Titanium prybar I got from a maker on Bladeforums.

This picture was taken some months ago.

There's a lot of money sitting right there, and the saddest part is money doesn't equal happiness nor comfort. I find that a lot of knives made here in the States with "survival" being the selling point often lack simple lines and comfort in exchange for the item looking "cool." That said, not all are that way (Beckers are comfy)... But, you need only look to TOPS to see how silly it's getting. Granted, they have some nice users as well - but more often than not they have "what in the world would you use that for?" designs like the Tracker.

Personally, after all the knives and gear I've purchased with bushcraft, hunting, or EDC in mind... I keep going back to Moras, Green Rivers, and classic styles. After I was once called "Rambo" and "Zombie Killer" on a camping trip when I unpacked my Maxpedition backpack and pulled out a Becker BK7... I had to pause and reflect on my choices. Though I shouldn't care what people think in terms of what I use, perhaps I should also take care in how I am perceived when out and about, you know?

Wow, I rambled, sorry.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
ok gents as promised....

I've experimented with a few small knives over the past year looking for the 'perfect neck knife' so far I've gone through a Boker+ Gnome, a Boker+ Grasshopper, a Spyderco Ladybug, and then I found my Izula ...

I'll stick up a couple of pics of each with what I found to be the pros and cons of each knife...

2011-10-17194823.jpg

Boker+ Gnome

2011-10-17204347.jpg

2011-10-17195019.jpg

2011-10-17205000.jpg

as I mentioned earlier:

Pros good tip control, thick spine, small enough to not notice it's around your neck
Cons grip is funny and needs a lanyard for decent purchase grip, and for some reason I've found this one to be a bugger to sharpen on my sharpmaker:(

Boker+ Grasshopper
2011-10-17205427.jpg

2011-10-17195123.jpg

by far the smallest and lightest of the blades, very ergo grip! because of the one piece construction it's very easy to clean making this my skinning knife

Prosvery light, ergonomic, easy to clean, great for whittling
Conssmall blade is unsuited to much more than very light cutting/skinning

Spyderco Ladybug

2011-10-17195141.jpg

2011-10-17195226.jpg

the folder might seem an odd choice to some but due to the very light weight and lack of sheath this has lent itself very well to being a small necker

Pros VG10 BLADE STEEL!!!! ergo grip
Cons needs to be taken off and unfolded to use, not as sturdy as a fixed blade

ESEE Izula

2011-10-17194838.jpg

2011-10-17194937.jpg

my hands down favourite knife, its bigger than the others, but it's not too big to use as a necker- I've put it through some serious abuse and it keeps on smiling. it's the only non stainless blade i own, so it needs a little more care to keep it in shape

Pros full hand grip, decent sized blade, idiot proof warranty
Cons carbon blade needs more care

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I have an Izula, and I'm tempted to say that if you had a good axe and a saw, the Izula is the only fixed blade you'd need. It's small, but built really, really well AND can take a beating. Add the micarta handles and you're top notch. The only reason it doesn't get as much use from me is because my sharpening skills are sadly deficient in anything other than Scandi. I'm working on it, though.

how do the micarta scales work for it? better grip ect? and how big is the internal hollow? small enough for a rolled up £20 note? i might buy a set for mine :)

best sharpening tip- buy a spyderco sharpmaker, I was terrible before this now everything that will hold an edge in the hose is sharp enough to shave with in the morning lol

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
how do the micarta scales work for it? better grip ect? and how big is the internal hollow? small enough for a rolled up £20 note? i might buy a set for mine :)

best sharpening tip- buy a spyderco sharpmaker, I was terrible before this now everything that will hold an edge in the hose is sharp enough to shave with in the morning lol

No hollow... The slabs fit together like Legos and then you screw it in.

As for the Sharpmaker... I'd rather not. It's easier for me to carry a small stone (or even sandpaper and a strop) around when out and about, rather than a whole sharpening system that is a little heavy once you get the extra stones for it. Scandi, in my experience, is not only an easy grind to sharpen, but I find it so much better to work with when carving and doing other bushcraft related tasks - but that's just me, I know people who think the exact opposite.

While I love knives like the Izula, they just aren't doing it for me anymore. I know it might be weird but, I never felt as comfortable as I did when I held my first Mora... And that's led to other scandi knives which I love almost as much... And it has led to getting on a waiting list for a local-ish knife maker who does some goooooood stuff (Adventure Sworn).

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Got the stag handled one in the post today.

Swiped on the ceramic and cuts like a dream.

Had to glue some leather into the leather sheath for friction so that it can hang upside down as a necker.

lovely wee thing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE