Boiled Linseed Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
Glad you asked this question as im in the middle of making a spoon and would love to know can i finish it with boiled linseed oil as i happen to have some.

Hope someone knows the answer. Knowing my luck its toxic or something.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
I found this on a google search......

Linseed oil is available in two forms: raw and boiled. Raw linseed oil is practically non-toxic, but boiled linseed oil should be avoided because certain additives may be toxic to the liver. Linseed oil may cause moderate skin irritation and gloves should be worn to avoid skin exposure.

Published research regarding the environmental effects of linseed seed oil is not available. However, anecdotal information from those that have used linseed oil over the years indicate that it is very effective. Rags soaked with linseed oil are extremely flammable and should be rinsed in water and air dried thoroughly before being thrown in the trash.

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
If you feel the need to use raw linseed oil, go right ahead.

The seeds it is pressed from is sold on top of bread and loose, for you to toss on bread dough.

Just don't use boiled or varnish. I've seen linseed varnish containing litharge (a lead compound) as a drying agent.

Otherwise, go right ahead with grape kernel oil. It's just like the show "The Young Ones", utterly tasteless! :lmao:

Or, if you want that yellowish tinge, use Rape (no sniggering in the back!) oil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE