Boiled Linseed Oil and recycling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reaverman

Oct 19, 2016
Bracknell
Hi all,

I've got some knife scales I am treating before putting on two blades. I've heated up Boiled linseed oil in a jar (via a pan of boiling water), and when I've seen a constant stream of bubbles coming off the wood, I've capped the jar. I'm then going to let that stew for about two weeks, before removing.

My question, is it ok to re-use the oil for another batch. Or is done with, as it's been affected by the heat treatment?

I have noticed the jar is a little cloudy atm, but I do not know whether that is due to the treatment or the wood in situ.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Why did you treat the scales before fixing to the knives?

Normal practice is to treat after they've been fitted and shaped to the knife. Also treating them means oil will most likely provide a poor surface for the adhesive to adhere to when you do fit them.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
By pre treated do you mean stablised?

If so then then they're treated with a resin similar to the ones used for micarta and the adhesives stick fine to that.

Snake

Maker
Jan 5, 2017
North Wilts
Yeh Im going to agree with Mesquite, there is no glue in the world that will stick to that wood now.

As for what I see as your original question that oil will be fine to use again and again until it is all gone, I have through my own error set a pan of linseed oil on fire, and the only effect that had on it was to make the oil look black when pored back into the bottle (when cooled i may add)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just sand off the face of the scales you need to glue; you'll have to be thorough and roughen it up at the surface, then wipe it off with White Spirit, Isopropyl alcohol or somesuch and you'll save your scales.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE